View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Reaction to Seeing Muhammad Ali 

Post Reaction to Seeing Muhammad Ali
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/0 ... 04472.html

Muhammad Ali Opens New Marlins Park, Twitter Reacts With Confusion, Sadness (VIDEO, PHOTOS)
Posted: 04/ 4/2012 10:07 pm

The mystery of who would throw out the Miami Marlins' unannounced first pitch in their new Marlins Park was finally put to rest Wednesday night, but the talk is not dying down.

Owner Jeffrey Loria's surprise guest turned out to be the greatest himself, boxing legend Muhammad Ali. But a rousing cheer from the crowd quickly turned to a heavy hush at the sight of the obviously ailing 70-year-old, whose body is overwhelmed by the effects of Parkinson's Disease resulting from a lifetime of blows to the head.

It was hardly the inspirational scene in Atlanta in 1996, when a trembling but dignified and triumphant Ali touched the world by lighting the Olympic Torch, one of the Games' most meaningful moments. Ali, who no longer speaks in public, was wheeled onto the field in a cart moving at a very slow crawl, his arms shaking heavily while a smiling Loria clutched one hand and supported Ali with an arm around his shoulders.

The reaction from the sympathetic crowd wasn't what the Marlins apparently intended: the stadium's PA announcer, after what seemed like several minutes of near-silence, valiantly tried to start an "Ali! Ali!" chant over the loudspeaker.

Eventually, shortstop Hanley Ramirez took the ball from Ali's right hand, and the game was on. But though the appearance had all the star quality a five-minute first pitch on ESPN could possibly hope for, the effect was both upsetting to some and to all in stark contrast with the flashy style and celebratory mood that accompanied the rest of the team's Opening Day ceremonies. The crowd both in stadium and on Twitter reacted with an apparent mix of depressed sympathy, mass confusion, and, at least online, open suspicion over Loria's motives.

"It was uncomfortable," observed Fox Sports' senior baseball writer Ken Rosenthal. "And I think unnecessary."

(For those who remain confused over the choice of a Louisville boxer, Ali maintains strong ties to Miami from training at South Beach's famous 5th Street Gym to winning his first title fight over Sonny Liston in Miami in 1964.)

"The opening of Marlins Park started off with a parade of showgirls and Jose Feliciano singing the National Anthem," wrote Deadspin's Erik Malinowski. "It ended with the sad, shameless sight of Loria trotting out Ali's disease-ravaged body for a forced on-field ceremony. Happy Opening Day, everyone."

Here's what Twitter users thought of the event:

Ken Rosenthal:
I'm sorry, this doesn't feel right seeing Ali like this.

PB Post Sports:
Seeing a major split on the Ali appearance tonight. Fans either loved it or said it was extremely depressing.

Ozzie Roach:
I wonder if Ali even knows where he is...ugh. Hard to watch man.

spoocecow:
Is it even possible for AliCart to be any slower and sadder

supersloth:
this is gonna be the last thing we remember seeing ali do and we are going to regret it

lt. winslow:
in fairness to the marlins. thieving con men exploiting incoherent geriatrics is kinda our thing down here

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:12 pm

Post Re: Reaction to Seeing Muhammad Ali
It makes sense that the fans would rather remember Ali as he was, not see him as he is now. I'd prefer to remember my husband as he was, too! :cry:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:22 am

interesting dilemma….

at times I look absolutely normal…even super normal….with above average to superior attributes….lol…

at other times I shake, and repeat the same word or part of a word over and over while the tears open up…..and I close my eyes to save on resources intentionally or by design……

all the while…..taking in my inability to get r done……and the inability of those around me to accept 'this' as me….gracefully…..

…….

so…..do we shield everyone from reality?
or stick it in their face….up close….and frequently?

…..

there is an answer…..
it is not the pleasant one…..

deal with it….
everyone wins……

hide it….
everyone loses…..

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:17 pm

I completely agree, Craig. I think there was a great opportunity for the Miami Marlins owner and for the PD community in Miami to show the world one face of PD. After all, Muhammad Ali did not hide from it. Why should the rest of us? Such an education would've been fitting (and still could be) for Parkinson's Awareness Month in April!

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:25 pm

I know for a fact that my husband would not want to be remembered as he is now if he were able to make that choice.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Good for Muhammad Ali for having the courage to again go before a giant audience! He's a remarkable man.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:36 am

For all but a few close friends and relatives, I think my dad was the same way, Pat. He didn't want most people to see him in the condition he was in and I believe wanted to be remembered the way he had been, not how he was right before he died. Lynn

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:31 am

Besides, how do we know it was 'courage' on his part rather than exploitation on someone else's?

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:57 am

I was wondering the same thing. Was this something HE wanted to do or even knew what he was doing? I know I wouldn't want to be paraded around in a similar condition.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:29 pm

Why would Muhammad Ali and his wife Lonnie allow themselves to be exploited? All they'd have to do was to say "no."

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Someone in the local support group sent me this quotation of Muhammad Ali's (from an interview with NBC):

"What kind of champion would I be if I went into hiding because of Parkinson's? I fight the disease everyday in front of the world. I do it because this is a test from God. God says if you have a mustard seed of pride you will not enter Paradise. It scares me to think that I'm too proud not to go to paradise. I do not want anybody to pity me, I live a great life with my family. Everybody is tested by god in some way, this is my test."

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:05 pm

this is a no win conversation if anyone tries to force their opinion on anyone else…..

that said….

my opinion…..

I have this crap…..

most of you don't want to see it public…..edit: too bad(replaced a poor choice of words)…….lol…….

nothing personal…..unless you take it that way….and if you do….carry it with pride…..

…….

think this is an emotional thing? duh?

this is part of life…..I still live…..even when I am dismissed as being alive in person…..

you can't have it both ways……
you can't win every time…..

I sure can't……
I sure don't……

what don't work for you…..great……don't do it…….
don't make fun of those who do…..

I force people to deal with me……..
in your face…..at first…..so as there are no surprises…..
then I back off…..only for awhile…..
and take my time…..biting my tongue along the way…..but…..
willing to take a little recognition here and there until…..I am almost accepted….by those with open minds…..
the rest can take a hike……

this is my life…..
this is your L/O's lives……in some fashion….as they declined……

sure….at some point…..most give up and hide…..its the easiest thing to do….
and for those who really 'chose' to not have others see them 'alive'…..I recognize their wishes...and will put my uniform on again….and pledge my life for 'their' right to do so….
bystanders…..not so quick to listen to them…..
you see….I understand agendas…..we all have them…..and they are all different….

go back and look at my introduction on this website…..and my first few months of existence here…..
and see it it wasn't in your face….and then a planned retreat…..
and then a planned comeback……warts and all…….
a few now take me serious…..

edit to remove part of name, but will leave the sentiment…..I can count on you to dismiss me every time……
(so I can't figure out why I still look for nuggets of wisdom in your stuff)….actually I can figure out both ends…..

think about your L/O's and not yourself….or run from them……
that is what my wife is doing once again…..as we have this forum conversation….right now….

this life isn't for the mild or meek….the timid….or the weak…..

all of the above is just my humble opinion…..take what you like and kindly leave the rest…...

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:10 pm

I don't think anyone who doesn't:

still have the ability to decide….

or...

have their wishes in writing….

……should be paraded around on display….

the question…I think, should be?

If Ali, didn't have this disease, would he be a likely person to be picked to do this event?

the question then should be….

do you feel pride with Ali…..
or do you feel pity…..?

depending on what your answer is……

Why?

next question….

you are the wife of Ali…..
How do you feel riding in that golf cart?
Pride?
Pity?
Shame?
Something else?
……why would it matter?

if Ali…….held that ball for a fraction of a second….or even if he couldn't hold it…..but just rode out with it?

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:27 pm

Thanks for sharing, Craig. Sorry to hear that a similar discussion is going on "live" for you.

I'm not sure PD played any part in the Marlin owner's decision to have Ali "throw" the opening pitch. Seems to me that was a missed opportunity on the part of the Marlins. Also a missed opportunity that the PD community in Miami (where one of the national PD organizations is based, by the way) hasn't raised this discussion to a higher level, especially in light of the fact that April is Parkinson's Awareness Month. Perhaps some would view that as exploitation.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:46 pm

Ah, Craig, who of us could foresee all of the possible events that might occur and decisions that will need to be made after we are unable to make our own decisions? We might specify whether we want an open coffin, or whether we'd ever want a feeding tube, etc. but we can't think of every decision that might ever come up and put it in writing. We'll have to hope the people closest to us who know us best will make decisions we would make.

I don't follow sports and certainly not boxing, but I definitely was aware of Muhammad Ali from the 1960s on. He was never shy about doing controversial things to make a point. Was he able to make the decision about the ballpark event? If not, is it what he would have wanted? I have no idea, but in the absence of evidence to the contrary I would trust that his wife and others close to him made the decision based on their intimate knowledge of him. It certainly is not inconsistent with the way he's lived his life.

I've heard people say that they don't want to visit someone or see someone because they "want to remember her as she was." I think I may have even said that a time or two myself, in my youth. But now it seems to me that that is a false either/or.

Seeing Coy as he is now does not at all detract from my memories of him in his prime. Noticing another sign of aging and decline each time I visit my mother does not prevent me from remembering her as she was in my childhood, and she was in her middle age, as she was when she was more vigorous. It is not an either/or. It is a both/and. I both remember and admire and enjoy thinking about the people I love as they have been in the past, and I accept and continue to love them as they are now.

It would be cruel to make someone appear in public who does not want to be seen as he is. That wish should be respected. That Pat and Lynn would protect the privacy of their loved one makes perfect sense to me. But it is the wish of person that matters, not claims by the public that they'd rather remember him as he was.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next