View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Financial help for parents 

Post Financial help for parents
My mother has LBD it has had a very rapids decline and needs to be placed in a faciltiy for assisted living I can NOT find how/who to contact for medicare/medicaid/SS Benefits....my parents have medicare/AARP I can't get any answers from anyone how they are suppose to cover expenses for either in home care or placing her in a facility! My dad has tried to be the sole caretaker, I live in a different state....He has health issues himself and just can't do it anymore...but financially they need INS> help....HOW??

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:11 pm

Post Re: Financial help for parents
You can get very good info on Medicare online at medicare.gov.

Medicare does NOT pay for facility care, at least not on a long-term basis. (Medicare will cover up to 100 days in a skilled nursing facility if there's a skilled need.)

Medicaid is a program run by each state so the benefits vary. Probably the best source of Medicaid info is the state government website of the state where your parents live. Call them and find out how you can gain authority to make phone calls and conduct business on behalf of your parents.

A good starting point may be the local area agency on aging in the county where your parents live. Contact them to get pointed in the right direction.

Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:35 pm

The area agency on aging is a great place to start. Also, I'd get info. from your dad like:

Do they have long term care insurance? If so, how much does it pay?
I don't think there is any health care ins. that pays for in home care or ALF, but you should check that out just in case they have some super-good insurance that covers some of these types of expenses.
If they don't have good or any LTC insurance, how much money do they have that can be used to pay for in-home care or an ALF?

You can probably do online research about what facilities are near them (or near you) and start getting prices and getting on wait lists, as most places have wait lists.

If either parent was a veteran there may be some VA assistance. The VA, however, will not pay for ALF expenses until your parents have less than $80,000 in "cash" assets. This does NOT include the value of their house or one vehicle.

Good luck - I was in this position a few years back and spent many, many hours trying to figure all this out. There's lots of info. about the VA on this forum - just do a search and you can learn a lot if this is an option for you. Lynn

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:17 pm

You can find the local area agency on aging from this national website:
http://www.n4a.org/

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]