View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 My LO is going into a nursing home tomorrow. 

Post Re: My LO is going into a nursing home tomorrow.
Nursing care in hospital isn't what it used to be, I'm afraid. I was hospitalized for five days food poisoning and after the first couple of days I was not violently ill, but I had to ask for a toothbrush (if you can imagine, after all the sicking up) and a shower. They were great about the medical issues, meds and IVs but just weren't tuned in to the personal care.

Anyway, it's great to hear that the move went well and you can see Chris often. Hang in there!

Julianne

Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:56 am

mockturtle wrote:
I was planning to go back to work this spring but was told that the state would end up taking his income so I would only break even by working! So I decided spending more time with Derek was more sensible than working for nothing. :lol:

Pat, I am so glad to hear this. I've been worried about you going back to work and I'm glad you can spend more time with Derek. If you happen to feel like working for nothing some days, I'm sure there are ways you could brighten the day for one of Derek's fellow residents or lighten the load of a caregiver there. :P If you are going to volunteer, do it on your own terms.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:44 pm

You may notice things not happening in the NH the way they are supposed to be either. I sometimes had to keep after the people where my dad was to make sure he was shaved every day, or at least every other day. Once in a while his room was not clean. If there were things that happened like that, and they did seem to happen sporadically, I'd go to the head nurse, head out housekeeping, whatever was appropriate and ask them to take care of the situation. If I found the same thing a second or third time, I went to the director. That's when mistakes, oversights, etc. didn't happen again, because she was all for quality control in the care of our LOs there. If she knew about a problem, it was taken care of and I never noticed the same issue after that. Lynn

Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:46 pm

JeanneG wrote:
mockturtle wrote:
I was planning to go back to work this spring but was told that the state would end up taking his income so I would only break even by working! So I decided spending more time with Derek was more sensible than working for nothing. :lol:

Pat, I am so glad to hear this. I've been worried about you going back to work and I'm glad you can spend more time with Derek. If you happen to feel like working for nothing some days, I'm sure there are ways you could brighten the day for one of Derek's fellow residents or lighten the load of a caregiver there. :P If you are going to volunteer, do it on your own terms.

Jeanne, I do enjoy participating in the residents' activities and enjoy getting to know them, as well. Most family members do not have the time to spend with their LOs that I do.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:26 pm

Debra,
I haven't checked in for a few days and have only now learnred of Chris' move. I'm glad it went smoothly, now you can focus on just being with him and making him happy, not worry about what he might do to himself or others-let the pros deal with that. You are an incredible wife and you made the best decision for Chris. My heart goes out to you with all you've dealt with in such a short amount of time. Now that Chris is safe can you take a breather? Maybe enjoy a 'normal' night out with a friend? Big hugs to you, Sher

Sun May 01, 2011 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2