View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Caregiver costs 

Post Caregiver costs
I know I seldom read posts here about financial issues but I'm at a point that I'm watching the bank accounts drain with no foreseeable changes. The caregivers are costing about $4000 a month now, and I know that in the future Ken may need add'l care. As it is I cannot get him up by myself, so when the evening caregiver leaves after putting him in bed he stays there until the 7AM caregiver arrives for his shower. I know there are programs out there, for which we do not qualify. Ken is a vet, but after having him gone for a month and now having him home again I'd like to do everything in my power to keep him with me. I am considering getting a license for a 6-bed ALF to turn around the finances. Has anyone done anything similar? I might mention that my 90 year old MIL also lives with us, and she also needs care, so even if Ken gets to a point where he needs more than caregivers at home can provide I still have Mom to care for. I am in California and I have done my research and my home is actually set up as a perfect fit. My biggest concern is giving up the last little bit of privacy I have (lost some when Mom moved in, then more with caregivers here all day). Then there is also the issue of the State of CA being in financial turmoil as well, and they have suspended the licensing classes until sometime next year. I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this. Thank you, Sher

Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:08 am

Post Re: Caregiver costs
Sher.... My mother was cared for in a 'home' such as you describe with just six 'residents.' The owner/operator has several of them in Huntington Beach, CA. If you are interested in talking with her, send me a PM and I'll send the details. I'm sure her experience would be valuable. (Her card says, 'Licensed Residential Facility for the Elderly.')

Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:29 am

wow sher you have your hands full.. a few ideas that might work now and later...

since you are va they do provide lots of services for free..

there is a lady in the gero /pys dept in san diego.. 1 858 6423046.. her name is dorothy.. she can set you up with a gal there and dang if i can remember her name.. something felter..??? and she will go over all the services.. they have a day care and they will come and get your hubby by van.. they have day care help.. the criteria is they need to rely on you for at least three things.. feeding, bathing, dressing etc.. and it sounds as tho that is the case.. and my understanding this is all free depending on your disability and service. and also the place in san marcos(VA) will handle your claim for parkinson and put an expedite on the front , to get you thru faster.. so that you can get the 100% disabled. so you will start getting some income coming in, to help financially.. i believe its $2800 a month for 100%.. even if you have already put one in, go for another.. what ever it takes and the va place is free...

then if and when the time comes, there is a live in place in escondido that is only $2400 a month.. i think that is the figure, need to recheck my notes... and will not go up in price EVER!!! for full time care at there place.. not been there so i dont know how it is.. but they accept va folks as well and work with the va so that if you need a nursing home it will not be in san diego.. i have the name of the place somewhere and the phone number ill look it up and add it on in another post..

also i have a great attorney in escondido that will help you set things up so you are covered and it will help him qualify for lots of things if you have a correctly worded trust .

hope some of that helps.. and ill be back in a few with the numbers and possibly more names for you!!

take care.. cindi

sorry about any spelling errors.. is there a spell check on her.. if so i need it!! LOL

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 1-14,released to memory care..

Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:55 am

ok the facility in escondido is called oak glen ,, here is the link http://www.newlifestyles.com/facility/facility.aspx?id=5068

again i dont know any thing about it, but its off ash, im not sure how close to you..

i need to call san diego and dorothy on monday and i will ask that ladies name and get her phone number for other ideas..

when i was in seeing the attorney she said something to me that i will pass on for what its worth..

she said, when the time comes and you need to look for a place for your hubby.. remember you can always go spend every waking minute at the facility with him .. enjoy wonderful meals and fun times together.. but you can also have time alone, to recharge and you will know that he is in good hands... while you rest or get a good nights sleep..it will help with your quality of life together..
she has seen many clients, that wear themselves down and then cant be of any help to the loved one.. it gave me comfort knowing that it is something that is ok to consider, with out the guilt that comes with that decision.. infact in some ways might be a blessing for both parties, when the time is right..

ill bring the name/ and number for the lady at the va, later monday..

again take care!!
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 1-14,released to memory care..

Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:23 pm

Have just come back from a two week trip out of state and while I was gone my husband was in a respite bed at the VA Continuing Care Center (aka Nursing Home) in Seattle. To access the service, I had to fill out a LOT of paperwork and because of his dx of dementia they were concerned that he would try to run away, or would wander and become lost. They required that we have a face to face interview with their social worker. When all was said and done, they accepted him and he was there for two weeks. He wasn't overjoyed about being there but he knew I needed to go and see my 93 year old mother who also has dementia (vascular type).

I talked to him daily on the phone and had frequent phone contact with his care staff. After getting out of the hospital 2 years ago he had a two week stay in a different nursing home and his rating was that the VA was superior on all counts.

There is a means test for persons who were not in combat. The cut-off is about 40K per year if I remember correctly. Lots of deductions to help you reach that number.

Do look into the VA.

Also, since you have two in your home who need care I would really think about establishing an Adult Family Home. The rules for licensure are different from an ALF at least in our state.

Call your local Area Agency on Aging. Good luck.

Nan

Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi Ladies,
Thanks for the replies. Cindi, I will keep the Oak Glen info, just in case....... for now, at least my goal is to keep him with me in our home. He was in a great place for a month but I had to be home for all of Betty's meals, etc.. and I spent my entire day driving back and forth. Also, when he wakes up here at 4AM and calls my name I can say "I'm right here, honey.". No matter how good the home is and no matter how caring the caregivers are (and they were!) they won't be sitting next to him all night for sips of water and the few small acts of love I can still provide. I will check into the VA day care option but I doubt they will accept him, he can't walk or do anything for himself at all. I definitely would like to have all of your contact #s, it has been about 4 months since I applied to VA for the Parkinson's disability and have only rec'd an acknowledgement that they got the paperwork.
Nan, has it really been over 2 weeks since you set up your vacation plans? If I recall, weren't you taking a train? How was the trip? I may have missed where you shared with your "lewy family" about seeing your "other" family, lol. I'll be checking into the "adult family home' and see what I come up with. Believe it or not I'm trying to get my brother to let my mom come live with us, too. She has profound dementia (probable Alzheimer's) which became apparent at the same time Ken's did. I'm open to all ideas that will keep Ken with me longer, so thanks for the input. Hugs, Sher

Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks for remembering that I was gone.
I have been trying to find a spot to say I am back,
so your question is wonderful

The trip was great. The train ride provided a 24 hour buffer from the
Washington stressors beofre I had to face the North Dakota stressors. Mom was
more debilitated than a year ago and her Vascular Dementia has progressed. I
got to meet her caregivers and interact with them which made me much more
comfortable with her care. They come in ihe morning and in the evening. She
sleeps a lot of the time when they are not there. In many ways she would be
safer in an Assisted Living place but she did poorly in one a couple of years
ago and we have gone with letting her stay in her home as long as possible.

I spent several days with my brother and his family in another town as well.
Whenever I go there, I am reminded of my nephew, at 5 years old....many years
ago... telling me that, "It's a zoo in there." And he's right. They have 7
horses, 7 dogs (of every size), a room full of birds, two chinchillas, a salt
water fish tank with live coral and fish, two swans, three ducks, a bunch of
cats, and a yard just full of grouse and other wild birds who have found a place
where the food is provided and the livin' is easy.

I was in contact with Del at the VA daily and he did really well. He says they
were good to him and some meals were so-so and others were wonderful. Lots of
activities going on. His only complaint was that there was no ice cream there
and he was sooo jonesing for some Mint Chocolate Chip. Friends brought him some
and that crisis was averted.

I would use this again in a heartbeat. All the while I was gone, I knew he was
only steps away from a medical team and a few more steps away from his
neurologist. In a crisis, the ER was on the same floor.

I am so in awe of a government that provides these kinds of benefits to our
Vets. Bless them all.

Smiles, Nan

PS...I'm glad to be back with Del in the other room.

You would think that the house would smell with all those animals...dogs,
chinchillas and birds in the house....but it doesn't because Jo, his wife keeps
it so clean. they have a huge man made pond in the back yard where the swans
and ducks live in the spring summer and fall. While I was there the pond was
drained and the ducks and swans were move to their winter habitat....a heated
coop called the Duck Inn.

Again, Nan

Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:48 pm

sher ill give those to you on monday ok.. i do remeber the ladies first name in la jolla.. i think.. its arlene something er felter..LOL
if you need it sooner

sadly it took over year for us to respond to us.. and now another year since we are asking for them to review since we disagree.. i just wnet and saw a guy in oceanside his name was chris gunn.. he put alot thru but he seemed so busy that i felt a tad uncomfortable by what he was sending and not sending.. i will check on monday also about the guys name in san marcos.. they just did a huge switchover.. so its hard to give any reccomendation... but ill get you the name and number.. it right off twin oaks and 78, in the san marcos civic center.. i just found few other things i had copied in the beginging here and let me see if they might apply for you..

also if you decied to go the home care/ residential care route.. im a re broker and maybe can get some names for you.. as i think you need to get a special use permit... that includes permission from the city and close by neighbors.. i had a client who did that in bonsall and escondido and then ramona. ill see if can find her number.. but again that will probably be monday or later..

also if you noticed on the top of that link for oak hill.. there was an area that said resourses.. maybe that would give some helpful info also...

i understand about wanting to have ken home.. but that oak hill might be a good source for a little visit, if you need it while trying to set this up... i think the va also offer day in house care and i know that medicare offers so many a year...

ill tap my brain abit more and see if anything more shakes out!!
cindi

Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:36 pm

Nan- glad your trip went well. I'd been wondering, too, if you were back and how it all turned out. Sounds like everything went smoothly, and I'm so glad the VA respite worked out so well for both of you. Lynn

Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks, Lynn. I am sending good thoughts that your visit today will be better with your father. I wonder if his pain issues have accelerated again. Nan

Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:16 pm

sher,
just sent you a private message, with all the names and numbers..
hope it helps..
cindi

Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:14 pm

Yes, Nan. Pain is worse today than any day since he became so ill 18 mo. ago. I'm going to talk with the hospice nurse as soon as she gets here about additional pain management. Lynn

Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:25 pm

Poor fellow. Lewy Body and bad pain. A VERY tough combo. My thoughts and prayers will be with you, Lynn. Tell your dad that there are lots of prayers being sent aloft for him. Nan

Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:57 pm

Will do Nan. He was in so much pain today having a bath in his bed he screamed through the whole thing. I asked the nurse to please give him morphine drops before ANY handling of him - changing him, turning him over, bathing and dressing change. She agreed that this should be happening and will have that order written and told to all his CGs. Lynn

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:34 pm

Post Pain - Lynn

Dear Lynn:

I'm so sorry he is in so much pain. That's awful. I can't imagine a care giver going ahead with bathing someone in that condition while they are screaming.

It makes me hurt just to read about it.

Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next