View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Planning for long-term care (AARP Mag article+PDF webinar) 

Post Planning for long-term care (AARP Mag article+PDF webinar)
There's an article in the March/April 2010 issue of the AARP Magazine about the extreme measures some have resorted to in order to provide long-term care to their loved ones. One of those extreme measures is getting a divorce so that the spouse in need of care qualifies for Medicaid.

You can find a link to the article here:
http://www.aarpmagazine.org/health/love ... -need.html

Here are some statistics given in the article:

"Americans who live to 65 have a 40 percent chance of entering a nursing home during their lifetime. The average stay lasts 2.5 years and costs about $175,000. In 2008, the most recent year for which numbers are available, 9 million older people required long-term care. That number is expected to reach 12 million by 2020 as the boomer population ages. Currently, only about 8 million Americans have private long-term-care insurance, leaving the government to underwrite care at an enormous cost to taxpayers."

That ties in with a Parkinson's Disease Foundation webinar I listened to last month. You can find the archived version online here:

http://event.netbriefings.com/event/pde ... ves/legal/
Legal Issues: Planning Ahead When You are Living with Parkinson's
January 13, 2010
Faculty: Janna Dutton, J.D., Eldercare Attorney, Janna Dutton & Associates

Ms. Dutton made the point that we should all -- healthy or not -- plan our own long-term care. Much better to plan your own care than to have this hard work foisted on to a family member, especially if that's a family member that you don't see eye-to-eye with on all aspects of your treatment wishes. She said that we should each formulate our own care plan, exploring how we'll pay for care, health insurance, etc. As part of that, we need to know what home health aides cost, the monthly cost of an assisted living facility, and the daily cost of a skilled nursing facility in our local area.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Better yet, I'm going to instruct my children, if I contract dementia, to take me north to the Arctic and put me on an ice floe, if there are still any ice floes left. I'm only partly kidding. :wink:

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:28 pm

My husband has already told me he's putting me on an ice floe! Maybe we can go together Pat! I have discussed with my primary care dr. what I plan to do if I develop dementia, ALS or any other horrible disease. I've also told my husband, sons, sister and cousins. I think we need to think about this stuff, make a plan and have conversations with the people closest to us.

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]