View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 A question from a Canadian 

Post A question from a Canadian
Hi everyone,
I'm from Canada (province of Ontario) and we have a totally different state-run medical insurance program. I've been reading and writing on this forum for some time and one thing has always puzzled me:
What is medicare? What is covered and who qualifies? How do people normally pay for medical care and medication? What is Hospice and is it free or do you have to pay? What happens to people who can't afford medical care?
I know this might be a really stupid question, but I'm not familiar with the American health care insurance systems.
In Ontario (Canada), all medical care and treatments are free of charge and medications are also free for senior citizens. We never pay for doctors or hospital stays or tests, etc.. In addition, all Long Term Care homes, even private ones run under the supervision of the Ministry of Health and the government pays for most of the expenses, although the actual resident who lives in a nursing home must pay a co-payment amount which is approximately $2000 per month and it includes accomodation, foods, all the therapy programs and total care up to all levels.
I'm just curious to know the similarities and differences between our two countries.
Please pardon my ignorance and thanks for any insight.
SS (Shomy)

Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:59 am

Medicare is medical insurance for Senior citizens, it is part of the Social Security system, each month a certain amount comes out of your check for medicare but it certainly doesn't pay for all, most have a secondary insurance that will pay part of or all balances depending on the policy. Hospice is paid for in full from medicare. There are many people in the US without medical insurance, some rely on a medicaid that is run through each state but you must meet a certain guidelines , most are below poverty level and they are connected to Social Services in this country!
There are many here that do without medical care, who can't afford their
prescriptions.
Hospice is a service that helps with end of life issues, they will send in a nursing aide to help with bathing, feeding, they also have a nurse that will visit at least 2x a week opr more if needed, the aides will only stay about 1-2 hours each visit, the one great service with hospice if you need to contact someone they are available 24 hrs a day.
I hope this clears it up for you!

Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:53 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you for providing the answers to my questions.
Have a great day,
Shomy.

Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]