View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 new VA program 

Post new VA program
Arkansas is one of several state that a trying a pilot 18 month program call Home Based Primary Care. The financial income threshold has chanced also I believe. My mom was a RN in WWII. and we just are getting everything finalized and started in the next 10 days. They set the amount of money or hours, then I can oversee it's use for mom with private care, pay family or myself (after each one of us fills out forms). It is very flexible. They then pay everyone once a month. It is going to be such a relief. Mom is going to get about 200 hr. a month. The form is 10-10ez in this state anyway. Laurie

Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:48 pm

That is great news for those on the journey. I also "heard" they are going to try a program of "day care". It was not finalized when my LO was ill but the dr. told me they were trying to put one together and it would be perfect for my husband...unfortunately for him its too late but will be wonderful for those who are on the pathway. Thank goodness programs are finally being addressed! Any and all help counts. Keep us posted on how the program goes.

Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:44 pm

Post Virginia
Does anyone know if this is offered in Virginia? My wife suddenly took a turn for the worse,. While I was suffering from a IBS attack, we had loud words while getting her into the bathroom. Since then she has been hallucinating all night and day. Her blanace is way off once again. HELP!!!

Fri May 07, 2010 7:33 pm

Post Home-Based Primary Care
I don't know for sure if the Veteran's Administration has a Home-Based Primary Care program in Virginia but I did a little searching on the internet and it says that they have this program in 48 states. I wouldn't be surprised if VA is one of them. Here is a link to information on the program from the Veteran's Administration website: http://www1.va.gov/GERIATRICS/Home_Base ... y_Care.asp

Here's a description of the program from the link:

"This is a home care program that provides comprehensive, interdisciplinary, primary care in the homes of veterans with complex medical, social, and behavioral conditions for whom routine clinic-based care is not effective. In contrast to other systems such as Medicare, home care targets Veterans with short-term remediable needs and provides episodic, time-limited and focused skilled services. Home Based Primary Care targets patients with complex, chronic, progressive disabling disease and provides comprehensive longitudinal home care. The program is designed to serve the chronically ill through the months and years before death, providing primary care, palliative care, rehabilitation, disease management and coordination of care services."

Fri May 07, 2010 8:38 pm

Thanks I will look into this. My wife is getting to the point that I can not handle her anymore but would never put her in a home.

Fri May 07, 2010 9:07 pm

Pay for home caregivers will be a great help to all...our last years together would have been quality years with much less stress, if I had more in home help. We only got 2 hours 3 days a week...and fought to get that. You will now see that increased greatly...and/or some money for additional care.
Though I don't post a lot since my loss, as I am still healing, I continue to get involved in supporting bills which will help caregivers. I know all of you are overwhelmed with caring for your LOs...been there, done that, but please..even if its a two sentence note...send your thoughts to the VA, Congress, Senate, President, etc. When enough letters, notes, etc. come across the desks people take notice and action. It all helps...it will help you.
My thoughts and prayers are with all of you and your LOs.
Big hug for all!

Sat May 08, 2010 12:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]