View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Hospice 

Post Re: Hospice
It is very small consolation, but I'll bet the next lbd or even dementia patient this hospice team encounters will be better prepared because of their experience with you.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:31 pm

God bless you in your wonderful caring, Leone. My heart goes out to you and your precious Dale. Unfortunately, I have no solutions for you, but just wanted to let you know that you are both in my thoughts and prayers.
Ger xxx

Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:37 pm

Thanks so much, Ger. By the way, Dale's middle name is Shannon. The name was O'Carroll as you may have guessed. We love Ireland. Dale has the certificate from Blarney Castle here in front of me on the wall of our office. :P

We were there several times when we lived in Germany. We loved the Farmhouse Tour. Meeting the local people in their own homes was enchanting. We went there later with my parents when they celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. My mother bought a full set of Waterford tumblers at the factory -which I now own.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:12 pm

It sounds like Dale and you have built some wonderful memories together. I'm sure you will treasure them forever, and if poor Dale was able, he would too. Its the memories of the good times that will help us through the difficult ones - at least I find that when coping with Dad. To be honest, I don't think I could live anywhere else. Even though the country is going through a rough time right now, I still would never settle anywhere else. I am very proud to be a genuine red-haired (yes still all my own at 45, some grey hairs but not bad) Irish cailin. I remember when I went to the states for 6 months after my 21st birthday, and people would stop me in the street and comment on my red hair - and my redder face :lol: because I got so sunburned!!!!! :lol:

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:36 am

Hey, Ger, I also have my own Irish red hair at 75..... and the skin to go with it! Now if the freckles would get together, I might have a nice tan.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:07 pm

You sound like a wonderful person, Leone. Even with all that you are going through right now, you still have a wonderful sense of humour - I could do with my freckles joining up - I'm called milk bottles here (referring to my white legs) :lol:

Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Ger.... This is tough (!) and I appreciate your compassion. No one watches the death of a sweetheart easily, I know. Dale is breathing heavily and requiring morphine every couple of hours. I keep telling him that I love him. I hope this doesn't last much longer. (My mother died last September after 12 days like this.)

Re: white legs.... As you may know, the fashion trend for women on this side of the pond has been 'no tights' for a while now. I think European women started it. I can't stand that look for myself. My legs are just too white. I think it spoils my entire outfit. :cry:

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Gosh, Leone, I didn't know that was the fashion trend. OTOH, I wouldn't have a clue what the fashion trends are and never follow them, anyway. I wear whatever LLBean and Eastern Mountain sports have to offer. :P

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:22 pm

My sister tried buying the current type of high heeled sandals and discovered that you really can't wear them with 'tights' or as we say, hosery, because your foot needs to be bare in order to stay in the shoe.

That trend may be more obvious in Florida and California where it is absolutely necessary to have a pedicure and toe nail polish. :lol:

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:28 pm

Well girls, another reason why I'm glad I'm in dear auld rainy Ireland - I don't have to expose my legs very often - hosiery or no!!! :lol:

Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:58 pm

Dale's extreme pain is when I touch or try to move his legs. An aide comes tomorrow to bathe him and I'm thinking I may order the patch early - perhaps before she comes so he can stand to be touched then.

When I tried to wash him and change his catheter this evening, he couldn't stand it. I barely got his condom catheter changed.

I'm alone and can't stop the tears..... We're both in pain. He can't talk but he tries to speak. However, at one point, he clearly said, "Let's stand up and hug." He was confused that I couldn't make that happen.

Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:55 pm

Oh Leone, my heart is breaking for both of you. I know you don't want to see him suffer any longer but it is also hard to let go. I had "the talk" with my dad just a few days before he died, telling him we are all OK and that when he needs to go, to let go. I also told him he'd see my mom and various others who had gone before him, and he should go with them. He became very lucid, opened his eyes and said "b___ s____" but then I got him calmed down again. My sister and I started laughing at what he said (probably tension relief on our part). It was the first lucid and appropriate thing he'd said that day! We really thought that was his last day, but he hung in there a little while longer, the poor man.
Thinking of you both tonight. If you don't have anyone with you, I hope you'll call a close friend or relative for support. Lynn

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:49 pm

Oh Leone, i wish I could hug you and give you my shoulder to cry on. The best I can do is to pray for you and Dale during this final stage. My heart aches for you both, and for all of us, who will one day face this or those who already have. Love, Bernie

Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:55 pm

Leone, Dale's pain is so awful! Is this something Lewys typically endure in their final days? Hope you get it under control. It must be pure hell to see him suffer like that! :cry:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:20 am

Probably a hospice nurse can best answer that Pat, but my dad was in terrible pain the last few weeks. I got really tired of asking for him to be given more morphine. I finally made it very clear that before every change he was to get morphine so that moving him would not be excruciating for him. In exasperation I asked one nurse "what's the problem? Do you think he's going to become a drug addict? He's 89 and dying for God's sake." Lynn

Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next