View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 "The Alzheimer's Project" (HBO+free online, 5/10+) 

Post "The Alzheimer's Project" (HBO+free online, 5/10+)
I received this announcement from the Alzheimer's Association:

http://www.alz.org/news_and_events_16202.asp

The documentary that will change the way America thinks about Alzheimer's disease.

On May 10, 11 and 12, tune into HBO's "THE ALZHEIMER'S PROJECT" to take a look at the faces behind the disease - and the forces leading us to find a cure. This multi-platform series reveals groundbreaking Alzheimer discoveries and the effects this debilitating and fatal disease has on those with Alzheimer's and their families.

As the leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer's care, support and research, the Alzheimer's Association has been an active partner in “THE ALZHEIMER’S PROJECT,” providing expert insight and leading community engagement.

Air dates and times

Sunday, May 10 at 9 p.m. EST
"The Memory Loss Tapes"

Monday, May 11 at 7:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. EST
"Grandpa, Do You Know Who I Am? With Maria Shriver"
"Momentum in Science, Part 1"

Tuesday, May 12 at 7 p.m. and 8 p.m. EST
"Caregivers"
"Momentum in Science, Part 2"

For additional details, please visit hbo.com/alzheimers.

Be a part of something big.

HBO's "THE ALZHEIMER'S PROJECT" will expose the Alzheimer crisis facing our nation and drive concerned citizens to take action.

"THE ALZHEIMER'S PROJECT" is a presentation of HBO Documentary Films and the National Institute on Aging at the National Institutes of Health in association with the Alzheimer's Association, The Fidelity® Charitable Gift Fund and Geoffrey Beene Gives Back® Alzheimer's Initiative.

All films will stream free of charge on www.hbo.com/alzheimers and will be offered for free on multiple platforms by participating television service providers.

Fri May 08, 2009 11:05 pm

I just caught the last half of this tonight. I'll watch it when it comes on afterwhile.
The last segment that they did was about Cousin Cliff Holman.
I grew up watching Cousin Cliff's TV show every afternoon after school and probably even before I started to school.

It's a small world!
nanny

Sun May 10, 2009 10:56 pm

All of the "Alzheimer's Project" is now available online (free). There are lots of supplementary videos as well -- many worth checking out.

Sun May 10, 2009 11:14 pm

As noted above, in addition to the four-part "Alzheimer's Project" series on HBO, quite a few supplemental videos are available. A local support group member alerted me that one of the supplemental videos has a case study of someone with LBD (Lewy body dementia).

All of the video is available for free online. You can find the four-part series here:
www.hbo.com/alzheimers

The 15 supplemental videos are available here:
http://www.hbo.com/alzheimers/the-suppl ... eries.html

The specific supplemental video containing the LBD case study is here:
http://www.hbo.com/alzheimers/supplemen ... rment.html

The "Mild Cognitive Impairment" supplemental video is 20 minutes long. The main presenter is Ronald Petersen, MD, PhD, in the Neurology Dept and Epidemiology Dept. at Mayo Rochester (MN). The first 12 minutes is a set-up for two case studies and the first case study. (The second case study starts around the 12-minute mark.) Dr. Peterson notes that there are two types of MCI -- an amnestic (memory loss) type that can turn into Alzheimer's Disease, and the non-amnestic type that can turn into non-AD dementias, such as LBD, FTD (frontotemporal dementia), or VaD (vascular dementia). In MCI, either memory or cognition is effected. The types of cognitive skills that are effected in the non-amnestic type of MCI are attention, concentration, language, and visuo-spatial.

The first case study is about Bob Emmert. Dr. Petersen says that Bob is on the road to a "Lewy body-type disorder" (around the 9-minute mark). Bob has RBD (REM sleep behavior disorder) and mild cognitive impairment. He does not have parkinsonism. Nor does he have hallucinations.

The first case study closes with these statistics:
Causes of dementia in people over 71 years old:
70% AD
17% VaD
13% Other dementias including Lewy bodies

Dr. Petersen presents very clearly basic info on LBD. This is definitely a worthwhile 12 minutes!

Sun May 17, 2009 1:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]