View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Occured Post Surgery within 4 months 

Post Occured Post Surgery within 4 months
My mother was recently Diagnosed by her Doctor of having Lewy body Syndrome! 4 months ago she was the as sharp as a tack mind wise and controlled Her body above and beyond that of one 74! She Quickly Deteriated to not being able to walk and using Diapers She has Hallucinations cannot walk or seldom rathionaly reasons or understands from one day to the next!! Has anyone else Experienced such a rapid onset of a healthy vibrant woman to one in the state of a very small child! Would sure appreciate any input from the Community.
Thanks for any input
Jonathan

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:02 pm

Yes, symptoms* can come on rapidly. You mentioned in your topic heading that your mom had surgery four months ago. A hospital stay and/or use of general anesthesia can kick off symptoms for many. Be sure to read Boeve's Continuum paper on the lbda.org website.
Robin

* If the progression is very rapid (ie, less than 12 months to death), this is often an indication of another disease.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:17 am

Post post surgery
My husband also had a back surgery and within 6 months he couldnt walk and was incontinenet and his memory is all but gone. He had to have a surgery that was only to last 2 or 3 hours but it had complications and he was in for almost 13 hours. I still think it was do to the time he was under. Mind you he made all the decsions for his operation and knew what the doctor said about his recovery he just wanted the pain to stop.(which it did) and I quess thats all the doctor could guarantee but what a price to pay. He was 74 years old at the time and is now 80 and is cared for by me at home at a huge expense to us. I suggest you make sure before the operation if its is safe procedure for an older person and should have been give other options. Mind you his doctor said he could probably resume playing tennis which he loved what a joke!

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:34 am

Post Onset of LBD
Looking back, I now realize that it was after my husband was in the hospital with pneumonia (bacterial and staph) that his decline began. At first I thought it was weakness brought on by the antibiotics that he had to take, ignoring other symptoms like incontinence and increasing difficulty in moving one leg in particular. Although he regained some of his strength, he began to show other symptoms of Parkinson's -- rigidity, poor balance. A neurologist put him on the medication for that disease but it made no difference, and he doesn't take it any more. Symptoms of dementia began to show up, and now after 3 years there is no question he has a form of Parkinson's dementia, brought on by that bout of pneumonia.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:14 am

This is a very common revelation that many of us has had in the past, not really understanding the tail spin Medications, drugs and hospital stays for infection or surgeries have on our loved ones, it just makes you more dilegent in the future. Good Luck!

Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:37 am
Profile WWW

Post Occured Post Surgery within 4 months
Jonathan,

My heart goes out to you. My Mom read a book a day, difficult ones, handled her meds, cleaned, was up on all the presidential candidates and issues. She had a pin put in her hip July 11, 2008 after she fell. It took a week for her to come out the post op delerium and she was unable to learn to walk again, incontinent, and had forgotten the last fifteen years. She has hallucinations and false beliefs (delusions). At the time of the surgery the doc told me she couldn't have a local anesthetic because she had been given blood thinners in the er. I found out from her own doc that she could have been given another drug to counter act the blood thinners. But none of that matters now. I just wish it was made more clear that death is not the only thing to fear in elderly people undergoing surgery.

I enjoy her now though, diapers and all, but it has taken a long time to get over the initial shock and wanting to find who to blame (i'm not sure i'll get over that one completely!). She is in a nursing home down the street from my house. I see her once or twice a day even though I work. And I always feel like I can do something to make her day a little better. I do battle with the nursing home when necessary to get what she needs, and have become friendly with the ombudsman who has advocated on her behalf.

I bring my grandchildren to see her each Fri. They love to see her, and I am so grateful that they are not put off by the afflictions of the residents and the institutional setting. She says they are the best medicine. I still miss the woman she was, and I still feel a little like an orphan. But the good days now outnumber the bad, and I just take it one day at a time.

please let us all know how you and she are doing.

Cathy

Wed May 13, 2009 1:08 am

What a wonderful gift you are giving both your mother and children in getting them together regularly! You are tops in my book!
Robin

Wed May 13, 2009 2:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]