View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Nursing Home Patient Pay 

Post Nursing Home Patient Pay
I have recently, reluctantly moved my wife, age 63, to a nursing home as my stepson and I are no longer able to care for her properly. She had developed hostile and combative behaviors and refused to take meds and eat for us.
She is on Medicaid and had just qualified for disability. I've just received a DHS case action notice with a patient pay amount that consists of all of her disability as well as a small pension she gets monthly.
This amount also represents about 40% of our combined income which has been needed to service our debt and other living expenses, mortgage, heating, utilities etc.
I have an appointment with an Elder Law attorney whom I'm told would likely be able to help. Unfortunately it will drive me further in debt to pay for his services.
My quandary is not being sure of how long my dear wife has to live - months? years?. The progression has been, in my estimation, very rapid to this point. In 2010 when she began showing signs of what we thought was early onset Alzheimer's. She has since been diagnosed with probable LBD based on onset symptoms (hallucinations). Now,she can't walk well, although they have been trying to get her to with therapy. She is on Ziprexa which sedates her and likely undermines her ability to walk. Some of the other residents in the dementia wing seem to walk alright but, may not have LBD.
I,m wondering if anyone can give me an idea or an average of longevity with LBD.
I don't know if I should just fold now or let an attorney try to help keep our finances stable.
Any advice or personal experiences would be appreciated.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:03 pm

Post Re: Nursing Home Patient Pay
Longevity with this disease is so hard to predict, especially when people have such different initial symptoms and are diagnosed at different points in the disease. I think I've read on here that people with LBD usually have about 7 years. These are some signs that a person is nearing the end - they sleep most of the time, they lose a lot of weight, they withdraw socially, they stop eating and drinking or greatly reduce their intake. It doesn't sound from your description that she is doing any of those things.

However, with LBD there are often really significant declines, so that is one of the things that makes the stages and longevity issue such a mystery.

Most attys will do an initial consultation for free, so you might want to check that out beforehand. Then see what advice they have for you re: your financial situation. If you own a home with a decent amount of equity, you might be able to do a reverse mortgage, which could help you financially. Good luck, and stop back whenever you need support or information. Lynn

Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:44 pm

I have many of the same questions and fears, Crib. My husband, 61, was recently diagnosed and so far we are managing at home. But he has a long way to go before he can apply for Medicaid. Meanwhile, if we need to go the nursing home route, I can see our meager savings quickly disappearing. I am only 60 and come from a long line of people that live into their 90s. It is very scary, indeed.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:25 pm

When I had to put my husband in a SNF we had to spend nearly all of our savings and over half of our income. Not what we planned for but 'it is what it is'. He became Medicaid eligible after a year and a half but we still paid about half our joint income which is, I guess, only fair. Nearly $100K a year for the SNF. I don't know what I would have done without Medicaid.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]