View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 talking to kids about Grandpa's LBD 

Post talking to kids about Grandpa's LBD
Hi - My Dad (64 yrs old) was diagnosed about a year ago and is still in the mild impairment range. He has been finding more physical impairment with daily tasks.

We haven't told my kids (12, 8 and 6) about my Dad's diagnosis because they hadn't mentioned noticing anything yet. We knew they would be soon, but didn't feel the need to burden them sooner than was necessary.

I just got back from a 3-day canoe triip with him and my two oldest kids - a great, if often challenging experience. Both of my kids noticed his difficulty with daily tasks and my oldest mentioned his difficulty with getting his words out. My oldest, especially is doing a lot of questioning as a result.

We feel like we need to tell my oldest, and probably my middle child now, but are wondering if anyone has any experience with or resources for this.

Thanks
Todd

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:29 am

On an Alzheimer's group that I'm on, this book was recently recommended:

Frances Kakugawa
Wordsworth Dances the Waltz
This children's book deals with a child's (in the persona of a little mouse named Wordsworth) coming to understand, and help his whole family realize, the value of the life and contributions of his grandmother even during her struggle with Alzheimer's disease. It's a very helpful book for instigating a discussion about Alzheimer's with a young child. It won
the Northern California Publishers/Authors award for best children's
book of 2007. It is the second book in this "Wordsworth" series.

Good luck,
Robin

Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]