View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Post New Member
Hi.

I just joined today. My father has had Parkensons since he was 75. It started with his left hand shaking. However, he soon started getting lost driving and confused. His doctor eventually figured out he had LBD. My mother was taking care of him in their house until he was 79 at which point she had a stoke and could no longer care for him so they both moved into assisted living. The story was we were doing it for my mother even though he was the one that really needed it. The problem was he was in denial and wouldn't admit anything was wrong with him. Now he is 83 and is in pretty bad shape. He pretty much can't walk and does not make sense when he talks. He is incontinent and can't really even feed himself. He falls frequently, but doesn't seem to get hurt. He was historically in great shape. He worked out every day in a gym until about 78 and had an excellent diet. He was never really sick a day in his life or in the hospital. He has always been his ideal weight. This may work against him at this point as he is suffering so much that I don't think I want him to live to be 100 (like his father did)

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:18 am

Post Re: New Member
Hello Number1Son and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that you have to deal with two sick parents at the same time. It's never easy to watch our parents get old but I think it's doubly difficult when they're both sick at the same time! I do remember once going up to the 9th floor on the hospital to visit my Dad in ICU and then down to the main floor to sit with my Mom in emergency... I thought I might go crazy but we did make it through that on. If you have any specific questions about LBD post under that topic on the forum or make a new topic. You can gets lots of feedback here from people who know what it's all about. Hang in there!

Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:25 pm

I guess one of my interests is how much longer will this go on. It is been 8 years for my father since the start, but he was very healthy when he got it. I realize everyone is different, but I would be interested in the statistics. We are Christians so I am very much looking forward to heaven for him.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:29 pm

It's very hard to say. You'll see on the forum some people have suffered through this for years and others it takes a sudden turn for the worse within a year. Each of us has our own time, I think, so we just have to take it as it comes. Stay strong!

Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:18 pm

Welcome and I'm sorry for what you are going through. Some of the indications of a person being in final stages of life are: sleeping most of the day, barely or not at all eating or drinking. Have you had your LO evaluated by hospice? If hospice agrees that your LO should be receiving services, they only admit people when they feel there are 6 - 12 months left, if that helps. Lynn

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:19 pm

My father just got released after about 2 weeks in the hospital. The assisted living place asked to take him to Emergency because of severe constipation. He ended up aspiring and getting a lung infection. Now we are back to assisted living, but he is very weak and is having trouble walking and feeding himself. He also came out with a catheter. I convinced the doctor to give him some physical therapy so hopefully he will learn how to walk again after 2 weeks in bed. He tried to get up in the hospital, but they had him restrained. They are not allowed by licensing to restrain him at assisted living so chances are he will get out of bed a fall. It is not a good situation. I wanted him to go to rehab, but the doctor didn't think it was appropriate and thought he would do better in a familiar environment.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:25 pm

It's really hard to know what is the most appropriate thing. I too would think that a rehab facility might be called for at this point but I can also understand the dr.'s thinking about a familiar environment. My dad went from the hospital to 2 or 3 wk. in rehab, where he learned to walk again. As soon as he moved to the ALF he decided he'd had enough walking and refused to walk. He wanted to be in a wheelchair and have someone push him most of the time, and that was that. He wouldn't cooperate with the PTs who came into the ALF and several of them quit. I don't think they had any understanding of the LBD issues so they got impatient with him. He wasn't doing what they wanted him to do anyway so the PT sessions were just a waste of money. I wish you a lot of luck and know what you are going through at this point. I remember feeling so helpless, wanting to do more to help my dad, but really, there was nothing I could do to make his situation any better. I just had to let him know I was there for him and try to lift his spirits. Good luck with it all. It is a very difficult road to travel. Lynn

Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:42 am

I guess the biggest Blessing in my situation is my father tries very hard and is very sweet and compliant with all the caregivers. They all like him and don't mind working with him. However, his dementia is very aggressive. Less than 1 year ago he could charm and trick people that he was normal and even jog. Now he is super confused and has great difficulty going to the bathroom, speaking, eating and walking. His memory is good for some recent events and most events that are 60 years in the past.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:17 am

The long term memory is amazing, isn't it? My dad could also remember the most intricate of details from when he was a kid, in college, WW2, etc. but couldn't remember that he'd just come back from breakfast. :(

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]