View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Introduction 

Post Introduction
I'm thankful for this forum as this is a whole new and scary condition. My FIL who will be 88 had a stroke in September and was diagnosed with LBD after a 30 minute followup visit with a neurologist he had never seen before (he was in an acute care Rehab and moved to a sub acute care and they sent him over saying he had a followup appt with a DR he had never seen) I am so thankful my husband went as he was in a stage of delusions. The Dr prescribed Exelon (sp) which he was removed from by the Rehab after his heart rate dropped below 55 ( he also suffers from Atrial Fibrillation) He had a 20 minute follow up with the Neur who is confident he has LBD. He is mostly in a wheelchair, on a catheter, his occupationa therapist says he needs to be prompted for almost everything. He has been seeing my MIL who passed 3 yrs ago every night as well as being convinced he has started his car and worked under the hood even though its parked in his driveway. We are in the process of completing our addition for him which will be fully handicapped accessible but realize he cannot be on his own. He seems to regress when he leaves rehab even for a Drs visit. Any advice would be great and appreciated. They initially had him on Ritalin at the acute care and subacute until they discontinued use due to his deep depression and acting out. We were never even told he was on Ritalin and we had met with all the staff and I asked specifically what meds he was on.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:13 am

Post Re: Introduction
Welcome to the LBD forum. If you have specific questions and post them under the most appropriate topic, you're more likely to get responses from other members. Come back often for support and information. Lynn

Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Welcome to the Forum! It sounds like you'll definitely need some help to look after your FIL if he's going to move in with you. Before they let him out of rehab there would usually be a discussion of what kind of support he would need at home. Everyone here will tell you caregiving is very tiring so be prepared and bring your questions to the forum!

Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:02 am

Hi I am new here. My husband has never been formally diagnosed with LBD but he has all the sign and symptoms. He has been seeing a neurologist who specializes in movement disorders as at first I believed it was Parkinson's Disease. However as time goes on and very little has changed in the way of parkinson's symptoms, I am thinking that LBD is what it is. I was a RN for many years but mostly in ICU and a few years in Orthopedic rehap nursing. When I think back over the years prior to signs of Parkinson's. I remember the terrible reaction my husband had to the anesthetic he received when he had aneurysm surgery. Then after days of psychotic behaviour he was discharged home where it continued. His family doctor put him on an antipsychotic which turned him into a Zombie like state but did not stop the behaviour. Bt this time he had not slept for 4 days and nights. This all happened 2 years before any Parkinson's symptoms appeared. Since he has all the symptoms of LBD I feel that this is what he has. At this point he has moderate dementia, memory span is about 1 minute, confusion, disoriented to day, time, etc. Does not know what season it is. Can't remember hold old he is. At times I feel he does not know who I am. He sees children, puppies, and other people but is not fearful of them. He is paranoid about safety. We live in a condo, east of the city of Toronto. There is live security and many video cameras installed everywhere and the building has to be accessed by a fob. Still he is always worrying about if the door is locked. He is calling me often except when he is sleeping. Guess that is enough info for this, maybe to much.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:39 pm

Hi Anne - don't worry about saying too much here. This should be a place of respite for all the CGs out there! Whatever is on your mind, whatever you need - support, advice, a shoulder to cry on, there is almost always someone here to answer you at least within a few hours or a day or so. Take care,
Lynn

Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi Anne,
Glad to see you were able to post on the web site! Welcome to the forum. As Lynn says, you can't say too much here. Post as much and as often as you like and if you post under the topic you're on, you'll get more responses to that topic. You have your hands full. My Mom's hallucinations of children and a marmot were entertaining. My Dad and I often had a good laugh over those stories! The bugs in the rug hallucinations on the other hand caused a lot of grief. So enjoy what you can and deal with the rest. Come back here and chat whenever you feel like it! Hang in there!

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:01 pm

Good morning, to all, I'm Paula, thanks Lynn, Molly, for helping me get around on the forums. My mother has LBD. MY father has a mental issue of some type. HE's hard to deal with. MY brother ls Anthony he's married, lives in Washington,D.C. MY husband and I ,have two, wonderful sons, 2 daughter in laws, 2 grandkids. My brother doesn't have children.

Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]