View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Newbie Here Today 

Post Newbie Here Today
Hello,
My name is Anna. My Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease in January 2010, almost 4 years ago now. He is 80, my Mom is 83 and is his primary caregiver. My husband and I live right next door to them so we're there to help, also. My Dad's symptoms have never really fallen into the Alzheimer's category: he still remembers things and people from long ago; his confusion comes and goes (though he has become more confused lately and his good days aren't there anymore); he has a very stooped posture; has a shuffling gait when he walks and very rigid arms and legs; he has been pocketing his food for about 6-8 months; he drools and has a runny nose all the time; he forgets what he's trying to say and gets very agitated; he doesn't talk much anymore and when he does he whispers a lot or you can't understand what he's trying to say; he occasionally falls (did so today while I was trying to take him back into the house after cutting his hair outside - he couldn't seem to go up the short step into the door and fell back into me and then to the ground); he has had hallucinations since before he was diagnosed; he thinks rugs on the floor are holes and that he has to step over shadows; he becomes fixated and obsessed with things, such as the fact that he needs to go to work at the AFB or the security police are going to come get him (he retired from the Air Force 40 years ago); he doesn't want to sit on the toilet; he has visuospatial problems; etc. I think everyone here knows what I'm talking about! After doing much research and reading a number of books it seems fairly certain that he has Lewy Body Dementia, and I plan to bring it up at his next appointment with his neurologist. Dad may be in a care facility by that time (a couple of months) the way he is spiraling downward. Caring for him is taking a toll on my Mom, especially when it comes to getting him to use the toilet (most of the time he ends up urinating on the floor because he doesn't want to sit on the toilet. He just stands in front of it and stares at it.) Anyway, I'm glad to be here and hope to learn a lot more about LBD from those of you who've been caring for their loved ones for a period of time already.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:01 pm

Post Re: Newbie Here Today
Hi Anna,
Welcome to the LBDA forums, I am sure you will find many answers here and lots of friendly helpful people, please look through older posts as they often hold many answers for newer people. I would imagine caregiving at their ages can be a burden and it is a good idea that you bring up the LBD as often doctors are just comfortable with saying Alzheimers and leave it at that.

Good Luck !

Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:20 pm
Profile WWW

I'll also say Welcome to the Forum, Anna. It sounds like you have your hands full. There is so much information here and lots of experience to draw from so keep coming back! I remember my mom not wanting to step over a line in a restaurant. She thought it was empty space and we had to pretty much lift her over. It's a tough road, hang in there!

Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:06 am

Welcome Anna. Come back often for anything we can help you with. Lynn

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:30 am

Hi Anna; If you or anyone who has a male LO who is experiencing toileting problems and is wetting the floor you could try what I have and it seems to work out fairly well. I bought a urinal at Walmart for each of the bathrooms. I also take one with us if we go for a visit. Also because of occasional incontinence I bought some hospital fabric, although you can buy matress covers to keep the matress dry, the fabric was cheaper. I bring this with me when we visit as one doesn't know what size the bed will be. Our beds at home have moisture proof matresses on them. Hope this will help. Anne

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:40 pm

Just in case anyone hasn't seen them there are waterproof pads (about 4 feet by 4 feet I think) you can by at the healthcare store. If you buy two, one can always be in the wash and they're great for the bed, chair, etc.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]