View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Another Newbie- S. Florida 

Post Another Newbie- S. Florida
My name is David and my wife is Patti. I`m 64 and Patti is 59. Patti was diagnosed 5 years ago with dementia-alsheimers and we have been dealing with it since. Before the onset of dementia , she battled Hep C for 2 years , the second year being hit really hard with the drugs they use to treat HepC. I believe it was the Interfuron and associated drugs that triggered the dementia , because she was fine until the second year and final treatments. Soon after the Hep C was successfully in remission the dementia started. Patti worked for a law firm for 19 years until they said she just couldn't do the work and terminated her. It was then that we started to really notice something wrong. Yes, this affects people in such different ways. She can`t do anything, it seems to be a special-visual thing ...writing, reading, dressing, figuring out which door to get in the car etc. Her eyesight is going wrong now in her left eye ....it turns outward, and her left arm isn`t used like the right. Gets confused in the bathroom at times but still doing ok there. This winter she had the MRI and Pet scan which the neurologist said showed signs related to LBD. She is VERY aware of her situation and is VERY upset that she is putting me through this. We don`t have any real help and I do it all. You all know what I`m talking about , not enough hour in the day. She loves to walk and it picks us both up. Luckly we both watch a lot of TV and enjoy that . So....life is still good for us when I can keep a smile on her face. It`s the downs she has that are so hard. Everyone talks about the highs and lows....the lows are so hard , but so far they don`t last too long. For being into this for 5 years now , I feel that our situation is much easier to handle than so many out there . I know our time is coming ....trying to get the most out of each day. 23 years of marriage now and going strong. Ive been a hair stylist for 33 years and still work one day a week and take Patti with me . Usually get her hair done on that day! I have some questions for everyone and will be posting soon.......for all reading this , good luck in the daily challenges.....Peace , Love , and Harmony wished to all affected by this desease...sorry about the spelling ~ David

Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:25 pm

Post Re: Another Newbie- S. Florida
Hi David,

Welcome to the site:) I'm sorry to hear what you and your wife are going through. Although my sister and I took care of my mom (my other siblings live out of state) it was difficult with just the two of us. I can only imagine how stressful it is being the only caregiver. My mom also felt bad that we had to take care of her. She felt like she was a burden. There were many times that I didn't get a chance to eat, shower, or sleep. I also lost a lot of weight and had back/knee pains from lifting her. Although my mom passed away, I would do it all again if I had the chance. It's a long journey filled with ups and downs but I would say definitely treasure every moment that you have together. I pray that God will give you strength each day...and remember that you are not alone.

Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:27 pm

Welcome, David. I'm glad there are still things the 2 of you can do and enjoy together. That helps ease the burden of both of you dealing with her illness. Do all you can do while she is still mobile, can and wants to get out, etc. Make every minute count! And, give yourself some respite from CGing when you can. If she is able to be at home by herself at this point, treat yourself to a little time alone or with friends. You'll need it to recharge and keep your strength and help together so you can help her. It's nice that she can still appreciate all you are doing for her! Hugs, Lynn

Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:28 pm

David,
Welcome to the LBDA forums and I am sorry for the need ,your wife is still so very young and dealing with 2 major illnesses is hard. Often a person with LBD is able to hold it together such as your wife did until she was terminated and thats when the bottom seems to fall out, We welcome your questions and comments and I hope you can find some answers here.
If you try and post in the area that best fits the question or comment my people are likely to answer with good tips. Have you checked into any live support groups in FL I know there are many there, here is a link !

http://www.lbda.org/sptgroups/%2A/node? ... e%5B%5D=FL

Good Luck !

Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:53 pm
Profile WWW

Welcome, David.

Glad you are focusing on your good times together. That is an important secret in this disease, I think. There is great power in positive attitude and peace.

Take care,
Pat

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Tue May 14, 2013 8:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]