View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Not sure my mom really has Alz w Lewy Body variant 

Post Re: Not sure my mom really has Alz w Lewy Body variant
My mother has been on anti-depressants for years. She was diagnosed with "early dementia" in 2007.

In the fall of 2009, she was on the anti-depressant Cymbalta and it didn't seem to be giving her enough relief. In December, the doctor decided to add Abilify to her meds, not knowing that my mother had LBD and the potential problems that Abilify could cause. By mid-January, my mother was in a terrible state, almost incoherent and beginning to have Parkinsons-like movement issues (shuffling her feet, etc.). I took her back to the doctor, who was so alarmed that she admitted her directly to the hospital. Ultimately, this resulted in a workup in the neurology department of a large teaching hospital and the LBD diagnosis.

So for my mother, Abilify was absolutely catastrophic. In a matter of weeks, it took her from functioning fairly independently in her home (I sorted her meds and drove her everywhere but otherwise she could cook, do her own ADLs, etc.) to being almost nonfunctional. It was really scary. On the other hand, she returned almost to baseline once Abilify was D/C'ed and the problems it caused ended up in her getting a definite diagnosis. Due to her deterioration, she was transferred to an SNF and lives there still.

She is now on Effexor-XR and Lexapro, which seems to be a very good combination.

Of course everyone with LBD seems to respond to drugs in his/her own way, but because of my mother's horrendous experience, I cringe every time Abilify is mentioned.

Julianne

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2