View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dizziness? 

Post Dizziness?
Hi, I'm new to the forum. My parents who are in their early-mid 80's both have dementia but dad was diagnosed with LBD this year. We are moving them back home to Maine to an ALF after having been in an ALF in Cali. They'll be on "my watch" now and I want to learn how best to help them. Dad constantly complains of "dizziness" several times a day and wants to lay down. I don't think these are hallucinations because he doesn't report/behave as though he's seeing/hearing anything unusual. The problem is that he also wants/encourages Mom to lay down when he does. She's not dizzy and doesn't need to lay down, but she does what he asks because she's very childlike in her dementia. The staff tries to encourage both to participate in activities but Dad insists they stay and lay down. If they try taking mom to events, he gets very angry and belligerent. He's always been a man who wants to control his life but it's even more magnified now. He has times of lucidity when you can have a "normal" conversation with him (mom really can't) and we try to discuss the matter. However, as soon as he slips into the dizziness, there's no reasoning. Mom is really missing out. Dad also says he doesn't want to participate because the activities are "stupid". There's still a part of this psychologist who realizes that these things are beneath his former capabilities. We've tried separating them into different rooms, but dad goes ballistic and refuses to stay apart from his wife of 62 yrs. Mom then gets upset when she sees dads reaction. I feel as though we need to choose which parent to help because trying to make both satisfied doesn't work. Tried Aricept but dads extremely sensitive to most meds are reacts badly. Any suggestions?

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:49 am

Post Re: Dizziness?
Wow, what a dilemma! There is a married couple at my husband's SNF and, early on, there were several incidents, like when he tried to push her in her wheelchair out a back door. The alarm was activated and they were stopped but it was clear she could have been injured. I'm not sure what measures the SNF has taken with them [they are not on my husband's wing] but I think they are kept separated except for meals.

I have no answers--my husband is a lot like your father and there were a lot of times I did not feel safe with him and he still has occasional combative moments.

Regarding the dizziness: Have you a means to check his blood pressure? If so, check it with him lying down, then sitting up, then standing. See if his systolic [upper] BP number falls ten or more mg from lying down to standing. Orthostatic [postural] hypotension is common in LBD and can cause dizziness.

God bless you! You have your hands full. Maybe a geriatric psychiatrist could help.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks so much for your speedy reply. I'll have new Maine doc check his BP. I'm sure he must have been checked in Cali but maybe not the 3 different positions you're suggesting. Is there anything to be done especially since he doesn't tolerate most meds?

Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:08 am

HI Lorene - you really do have your work cut out, and I am so sorry for what all of you are going through. In addition to what Pat suggested, have you tried to get advice from the head nurse, ALF director or others who deal all day long with dementia patients?
Has your dad been on Namenda at all? That might be worth a try in a small dose.
Sending you lots of positive thougts in a very tough situation. If your mom doesn't mind doing what your dad wants her to do, maybe everyone should just be happy with that and let it go. Lynn

Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi Lorene,
Welcome, My husband suffered with a great deal of constant complain of being dizzy and I came to the conclusion it was the way he felt and it was the only way to describe it sometimes for him, I think once you have them moved you will have a better eye on things, your a good daughter and I do want to mention if you post in area's that better fit your comment or question it generally will be seen but more people

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:26 pm
Profile WWW

My husband has just been diagnosed with LBD after a year of memory issues. He is complaining of dizziness this morning.
Patsy

Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]