View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Old but new 

Post Old but new
Well, I haven't been here in a long while. My dad was diagnosed with LBD in January 2007. In the early days, this forum was so helpful and I would like to thank everyone for being so honest in their posts so that the rest of us could prepare for what was/is to come. I remember one lady, and her DH was named Jerome, and I believe he was near the end. At the time, I just could not imagine my dad in that state. I was 35 at the time with a 12 year old and 5 year old. It just didn't seem possible. But, here we are. We've been through all the stages, taking the car away, moving out of our house to an assisted living facility, a night of wandering and a strange hallucinatory breakdown leading to a dementia unit, and now the phone call that he is being taken off of solid foods. I just wanted to say, it is so comforting to be able to come on here and search through topics and educational materials for support. It has gotten me through the evening. Tomorrow my daughter will take the SAT for college and my 66 year old father will begin the inevitable decline that we all know is coming. I tell myself it is the circle of life, but it's horrible none the less. Anyway, just sending it out into oblivion. Thanks for listening.
Jennifer

Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:24 pm

Post Re: Old but new
It is comforting to know that others have traveled the same road, though the road be rocky and winding. God bless you, for I know this has been a trial for you.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:33 am

Jennifer,
We here in "oblivion" are listening! You are referring to Renata, whose husband Jerome died several years ago. His lovely photo is in Neurology Now, and I see it often in local support group meetings. Hard to believe so much time has passed. I hope some of it has been good for you and your father.
Robin

Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:35 am

Both you and your father are in my prayers,
God Bless,
Ger xxx

Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:59 am

jennifer,
thinking of you and your family and also wishing your daughter well on her SAT..sorry that you are traveling down this path.. like you, i have taken such comfort and knowledge from this forum... i still have so much to learn .. but i feel i'm a much better caregiver and advocate for my husband, by being here..

wishing you well, thru the rest of your journey
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Jennifer,
When one looks back, its almost hard to believe what you go through and for you are still going through, I pray in the days to come that you and your family finds peace in all of this and that your Dad travels well on his journey in this stage of LBD.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:30 pm
Profile WWW

Jennifer, when you joined this forum, Lewy Body was so little known but now it is better recognized and treatment is becoming more refined. I do hope it has helped with the care of your dad. Come back anytime you need a boost. I see you have come to learn that the new members are just as comforting as the former group. Best wishes to you and your family.

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice" When I joined in 2007 this is the way Mr B. introduced me to the people only he knew,he added "You need to listen to her" he was 89 then, death due to Lewy Body Dementia/pneumonia in 2009.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:14 am

Thanks so much for all of your kind words. They said my dad failed his swallow study last week and wanted to put a feeding tube in him. I elected to sign the waiver and am allowing him to have mechanically soft food. He still recognizes me and can speak so I just felt it wasn't time for hospice. They said he is aspirating his food and his reflexive cough is gone, so I guess we will most likely end up down the aspiration pneumonia path. Does anyone have any information on that?

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:13 am

You can do a search of past posts on the topic of pneumonia.

It is called the "nursing home friend" or the "old man's friend" because it is supposed to be a peaceful way to die...if enough pain medication is administered, I suppose.

Many in our local support group don't treat the first bout of pneumonia. If the first bout of pneumonia is treated, many don't treat the second bout, if it follows quickly on the heels of the first.

Putting someone on hospice doesn't mean they are going to die the next week. It means that the chances are high that they will die in 6 months. In Lewy Body Dementia, not being able to safely swallow would likely qualify your father for hospice. There are lots of benefits to both the individual and family for having someone on hospice. It can feel like a momentous, life-changing (life-ending) decision. But most everyone says after their loved one died that they wished they had put their family member on hospice much earlier.

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:53 pm

I'd also encourage you to get a hospice eval. for your LO. Hospice is not a death sentence, it is extra help and support in a person's final months, and is usually a very valuable support to the family.
Personally, I am not a fan of feeding tubes and other extraordinary medical interventions when a person has so many medical issues and is probably nearing the end of life. There are many postings in this forum where people have discussed their situations and opinions, and you may find those to be of some help to you. All the best, Lynn

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:05 pm

Hi Jenifer and all,
I'm am also old but new and check in from time to time. It great to hear from many still on the forum. My mom is doing well concidering the many years with lbd and 91 yrs old. She can no longer walks but has some remarkable times to interact and can feed herself most days. She still lives with me and we have a calm simple life, which I know she benefits from. She is only taking liquid nemenda and a 25mg trazodone and I'm concidering stopping both as we don't think they are helping???? She has been taking cipro for an UTI for 5 days now and I have been very worried about it because of all the side affect. How we know given thier limits to communicate? I'll be glad when the 10 days are up. Take care all. Laurie

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:25 am

Hi Laurie,
Thanks for the update on your Mom and I am glad you are still able to keep her home with you and I am sure it is what helps her, sorry about the UTI, if it were me I would be more concerned about the UTI than the cipro I think that seems to be fairly harmless for them.
I am glad you are still checking in here at the forums.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]