View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hello LBD Community :) 

Post Hello LBD Community :)
Hi,

My name is Kaeti and I have been so inspired by the many posts and messages on the discussion board that I wanted to participate with everyone. I am 33 years old and am the primary care giver for my 86 year old grandpa. Most recently, we had to move grandma into an Adult Foster Home 5 months ago due to her Alzheimer's.

My mother moved home to care for her parents/my grandparents in 2009, but was overwhelmed caring for the two of them. I moved home after 12 years in San Diego, California to live with grandma & grandpa (GG) and mom in 2010. I do not have children other than my wonderful dogs- so the decision to move home and be close to GG was not difficult. I have taken on the responsibilities to not only physically care for my grandparents but manage every aspect of their life, such as bill paying, driving, shopping, etc... It is a lot of hard work.

I am also a graduate student pursuing a Masters in Communication Studies, when I have the time. I'm fortunate that Gpa likes to sleep during the day and my Mom is supportive and watches Gpa while I'm gone. You would think with two care givers at home for Gpa things would be a little easier, but they are not.

LBD is challenging and stressful because it has affected my Gpa more physically with the Parkinson's symptoms than the mental aspect. I've watched a very active and healthy man deteriorate within months. The placing of my grandmother was not easy on him either and onset the symptoms to worsen. I love my GG and do not take for granted their love and devotion they gave me as a child, it is now my time to give back to them.

I am anxious to learning and sharing my experiences with LBD with others. Please feel free to comment or message me~ I'm looking forward to being a part of this community. Thanks for listening!
Kaeti

Kaeti (33), granddaughter of Kennie (86) diagnosed with LB, who is a survivor of combat action in WWII (Purple Heart & Bronze Star), Kidney Cancer, Prostate Cancer, and married for 65 years to Ruth, 87 (who currenty has Alzheimer's).

Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:17 pm

Post Re: Hello LBD Community :)
Welcome Kaetie - you have taken on a monumental job! I'm sure your parents and grandparents are very proud of what you are doing, and very grateful too. Your GPs may not be able to express their appreciation, but if they could I'll bet they would.
As your GFs health deteriorates, which it will, please do what you need to in terms of taking care of you by getting extra help, and you may want to prepare for having to move him to a facility at some point. When he becomes a 2 - 3 person assist you and your mom may not be able to transfer him, as eventually he may have no abilitiy to help you help him. I'd check out places now when you have more time and energy, so if he deteriorates really suddenly, like my dad did, you aren't having to get in crisis mode to find a suitable place.
Best of luck to you and stop here often. Lynn

Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:20 pm

Dear Kaeti,
Welcome to the LBDA forums, I do hope they can give you the support and encouragement that will be needed along this LBD path!
Good Luck and join us often !

Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:28 am
Profile WWW

Kaeti- welcome to the forums, you will find so much support and information here!. I see that you live in Portland as I do, and thank you for your input on a different thread about a neurologist for my mom. Look forward to getting to know you!
Ellen

Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]