View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Introduction 

Post Re: Introduction
I am new to this forum. I am a speech-language pathologist. I have a patient in a retirement home who has been diagnosed with LBD. She has a variety of problems she is dealing with. As her SLP I am hoping to help her as much as possible. She talks like I am her only friend, the only one who understands her and is patient with her.

I would like to hear on this forum any other SLPs who might be able to provide me with insight on some therapy approaches. My assessments have revealed so many areas to address. I know that bottomline we all need to make sure that she is safe in her activities of daily living.

To try to brief you on where she is in her LBD progression: she knows that she has it. She can verbalize her thoughts. She is in an assisted living apartment. Her hallucinations are getting more frequent, making it difficult to function in her apartment. We have an appointment for her GERD symptoms. She has had a MBSS, which showed good results.
We also have an appointment, when the doctor gets back from vacation, to address her depression and the hallucinations. Hope to get meds that will help, not hurt. She does have word-finding problems and difficulty with completion of tasks, attending to tasks, and auditory perception. She has behavioral episodes as well.

I appreciate any input from therapists, those experiencing lbds, and family members.

Last edited by marthaj on Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi Martha - welcome. I suggest that you read as much as you can on this forum, perhaps starting with key word searches for specific topics you are most interested in. I'm sure your patient will benefit from your learning as much as you can about LBD. Lynn

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:46 pm

Marthaj,

Welcome! It's impressive that you care enough about a patient to come to a forum like this.

You might want to start your own thread so that your introduction doesn't get mixed into Katie's. You might put something about speech therapy in your subject line so that if there are any SLPs roaming around here, they might easily find you!

Probably the starting point for any speech and swallow therapy in LBD -- if the person has PDD -- should be the principles of the LSVT LOUD program, which is used in Parkinson's Disease. (LBD is an umbrella term that includes two diagnoses -- DLB and Parkinson's Disease Dementia.) In our local support group, most with PDD cannot do all of the homework required with LSVT LOUD but at least the SLP can work with the person using the overall principles of the therapy.

Is hypophonia a problem yet for this lady?

Robin

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:55 am

Hypophonia is not a problem yet. Yes, I do need to start my own post with that subject line. Headed to work, but when I have another prescious moment, I will do this.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:34 am

Martha,
Welcome to the LBDA forums, I know this will be a place you will find many helpful answers!

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2