View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Burlington Ontario 

Post Burlington Ontario
Hello Everyone

We are Sam & Sherry, and last week, we got the news about Sherry's 63yr old Mom.....We knew something was up, and it took a while for her to find the right Doctor in Toronto to get the diagnosis.

Mom lives on a horse farm in cottage county, with her husband of 45yrs....they have been on the farm for 43yrs.

Mom already looses things, shuffles a-lot, folds dirty laundry, and the chicken's I am told, look very cute in their Horned rimmed glasses......yes- classic symptoms of a disease that has already progressed.

We are looking at the option of moving there, as leaving the farm does not seem to be THEIR choice as an option. Given the extreme care that may be needed as this progresses, we wonder what the right thing to do is?

We hope that thru this forum, we can find answers to our questions, and possible options on care requirements as things move ahead.

thank you all,

Sam & Sherry

Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:09 pm

Post Re: Burlington Ontario
Welcome! I look forward to your posts, and I hope hearing about a wide range of other experiences can help you as you make decisions unique to your situation. I'm sorry you had to go looking for a forum like this, but I'm glad you found us!

Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:08 pm

Dear Sam & Sherry,
My husband & I recently moved closer to help. However, he had a crisis after being there only 1 1/2 months. He had to go to the hospital, nursing home, then board and care for over a month. It looked like we were losing him and when the doctor said he qualified for hospice, I immediately brought him back to our home of 30 years. I thought if his time is near, he deserves to die in his familiar surroundings. However, after coming home, he is better!

What I am trying to say, is keep your mom in her familiar surroundings - IF AT ALL Possible - I know this is not possible for everyone... I was mistaken in thinking my husband's challenges would improve if we were closer to help. I wish you and your family all the very best.
Roxanne

My husband's first diagnosis in 2006 at age 64: Early Cortical Lewy Body Disease. He passed in Oct. 2013 at age 71. Autopsy indicated evidence for late-stage Alzheimer's only. NO Lewy Bodies were found in the hemisphere of his brain that was studied..?

Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Sam and Sherry,
Welcome to the LBDA forums, I hope you find it a place of comfort and information!

Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:12 pm
Profile WWW

Sam & Sherry - welcome. I'd suggest you read a lot of info. on this forum before you make any big decisions. There are hundreds of us who are in various stages of dealing with the effects of this disease. Some are in the early stages, for some of us our LO's journeys have ended, and there are lots in the middle stages. The more info. you have the better you'll be able to handle what is yet to come, in my opinion. Read, ask lots of questions and stay in touch with this very caring community of people who know what you are going through. Lynn

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:49 pm

Thank you all....

for your heartfelt welcome,
for your membership here and taking the time to offer a word, a shoulder, your friendship.

I hope all of us can pay it forward, when someone else is in need.

Thankyou,

Sam & Sherry

Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:30 am

sed wrote:
Hello Everyone

We are Sam & Sherry, and last week, we got the news about Sherry's 63yr old Mom.....We knew something was up, and it took a while for her to find the right Doctor in Toronto to get the diagnosis.

Mom lives on a horse farm in cottage county, with her husband of 45yrs....they have been on the farm for 43yrs.

Mom already looses things, shuffles a-lot, folds dirty laundry, and the chicken's I am told, look very cute in their Horned rimmed glasses......yes- classic symptoms of a disease that has already progressed.

We are looking at the option of moving there, as leaving the farm does not seem to be THEIR choice as an option. Given the extreme care that may be needed as this progresses, we wonder what the right thing to do is?

We hope that thru this forum, we can find answers to our questions, and possible options on care requirements as things move ahead.

thank you all,

Sam & Sherry

Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi Sam and Sherry. I tried to post before, but am very new at this. I am from Oshawa, Ontario and came across this site. Even though my mom does not have a diagnosis she too presents with many of the symptoms.I have been reading other's stories and it gives me assurance I am not the only one going through this experience. Welcome.

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]