View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 New Canadian Member 

Post New Canadian Member
Hi everyone. My name is Karen, and I live in the GTA. (Outside of Toronto, Canada) Although there has not been an official diagnosis yet of LBD for my 85 year old mother, my readings indicate that this is what we are dealing with. I am working with her LTC facility to help us determine a care plan and give us all a little more support. I am married to a wonderful man and have 2 grown adult children.
Thank goodness for wonderful understanding friends and a supportive church family. However, there are days and nights I need to be able to discuss what I am feeling with others who are experiencing similar situations, to be able to cope. We have good and bad days; and even though thoughout our lives my mother has always been a negative person, she had tried her best in her own way to show us her love. It is really hard, especially on those days when she is verbally abusive and tells others that I am stealing her money and never do anything for her. This is the reason I began searching for a support group and found this website. I look forward to learning more about this disease and talking to others who also face similar challenges. Karen

Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:47 am

Post Re: New Canadian Member
Welcome, Karen! It is good that you found the forum. Speaking from my own experience, even though my husband also is wonderful, there is only so much venting I can do with him. She's not his mother, she's mine!

I am the target of a lot of negativity from my mother because she blames me for having been placed in an SNF. It is really hard when the parent you are trying so hard to help is making false accusations, but you just have to keep telling yourself that it is the disease talking, not your mother.

It is so helpful to find empathy, support and information here. This forum was a lifeline when my mother was diagnosed 18 months ago. No doubt it will help you a lot, too. Come back often!

Julianne

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:09 am

Hi Karen - this forum is so helpful both for information and support. Like you, I couldn't keep talking with my family about my dad's situation, or my friends, without burning them out. Everyone here is dealing with LBD or other related/similar neuro diseases, so you are amongst people who know just what you are trying to deal with.
When you get a chance I'd encourage you to read as much as you can on this forum. There are lots and lots of postings that you will find quite helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions, just vent, or whatever you need. We'll be here for you. Lynn

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:20 am

Welcome, Karen. You will find that this community is a lifesaver, (as well as a sanity saver), as I have done since I joined. I know without doubt that I woul not have been able to cope without the support of these wonderful people,
Ger

Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:29 pm

Welcome Karen, after reading your post it reminded me that my husband accused me of stealing and emptying our savings. We've long since past those and many other accusations. I had forgotten some of the challenges we've faced over the years. We have new challenges, most are physical, because he doesn't understand what I'm asking, the emotional ones increase as this horrible disease progresses. Frank has actually been "almost" nice, he had been unkind, virbally and resistant to everything I tried to do to help him. (I really should place the blame where it belongs, with the disease) Sorry for rambling on, but just wanted to let you know one of the biggest challenges with this disease is the hourly, daily or monthly fluctuations.

Hang in there,
Gerry

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:59 pm

Karen,
Welcome to the LBDA forums, I hope this is a place of information, friendship and comfort here for you!

Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:16 pm
Profile WWW

KarenK wrote:
Hi everyone. My name is Karen, and I live in the GTA. (Outside of Toronto, Canada) Although there has not been an official diagnosis yet of LBD for my 85 year old mother, my readings indicate that this is what we are dealing with. I am working with her LTC facility to help us determine a care plan and give us all a little more support. I am married to a wonderful man and have 2 grown adult children.
Thank goodness for wonderful understanding friends and a supportive church family. However, there are days and nights I need to be able to discuss what I am feeling with others who are experiencing similar situations, to be able to cope. We have good and bad days; and even though thoughout our lives my mother has always been a negative person, she had tried her best in her own way to show us her love. It is really hard, especially on those days when she is verbally abusive and tells others that I am stealing her money and never do anything for her. This is the reason I began searching for a support group and found this website. I look forward to learning more about this disease and talking to others who also face similar challenges. Karen

Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:17 am

Hi Karen, welcome to the forums. Sorry for our need to be here, but look forward yo getting to know you.
Ellen

Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:54 am

empritchard wrote:
Hi Karen, welcome to the forums. Sorry for our need to be here, but look forward yo getting to know you.
Ellen

Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]