View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 New from California 

Post New from California
Hi! I'm Jenna from California and my 74-year old Dad likely has LBD. I've been on parkinson boards/support groups for a year but we are just now thinking my Dad could have LBD and not 'garden variety PD'.... My dad currently lives nearby in an independent living facility but is starting to need a lot of help. We are awaiting a few more tests to try to zero on better on exactly what we are dealing with but I have a feeling this will be it. I have a lot to learn about LBD as I have just started to research yesterday. I have found these boards to be so enlightening with real life experiences compared to general informational literature and I appreciate everyone's sharing of information and experience. Perhaps I will have something to contribute back once I've been on this ride awhile longer. I am the only child and my parents are divorced so I'm figuring this out as I go along and it is such a hard, sad thing. My dad was diagnosed a year to a year and a half ago but was showing symptoms (at least parkinsonian) for a few years prior. Since I moved him down here 2 years ago he seems to be declining and is barely able to walk short distances now. There are clearly some cognitive and memory issues starting up. We just completed a 4-hour neuro-psych test session and will have a PET scan in the near future. Sinemet is not doing anything (Dad even double dosed himself the other day and I saw NO visible change). I don't feel strong enough to see this thru but I'm the only one and have to!

Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Post Re: New from California
Hi Jenna,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry about your dad, but glad you have posted here, as you will find a lot of help and support. The forum was my lifeline after my mother's diagnosis in 2/2010, and I still find it so helpful.

Feeling overwhelmed is normal. None of us feels prepared to deal with this, but we just put one foot ahead of the other and keep going. I am also the child of divorced parents and though I have siblings, they live far away and are not too involved so often I feel like the Lone Ranger. That's one time when the forum folk are such a big help. Not only are they supportive, but others have been there, done that, and often have helpful insights.

Best of luck with your dad,

Julianne

Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:55 pm

Welcome Jenna to the LBDA forums,
I am glad you decided to join us but sad for the reason of need, Theses illnesses are not something one can prepared for so just take it a day at a time and please free to post when you like, as you will see there are seperate areas that helps the poster find a place to put their question or comment.

Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:27 pm
Profile WWW

Jenna, I would also like to welcome you. You do get to feel you know the other caregivers on this forum. There are lots of questions, suggestions, practical tips and often laughs about things that otherwise might cause you to cry. When you can share these things with other who know exactly what you going thru, you can smile and hope tomorrow will be better. Please visit often ask your questions and share your experiences with your dad.

Take Care,
Gerry

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:32 pm

Jenna,
i am glad you found this forum and hope it is as much help, support and comfort to you as it has been to me in the short time (2 months) since my mother was diagnosed. I am also in CA (near Sacramento) and feel lucky to have great medical care, and both parents in fairly good shape, but even so, this is a daunting challenge. Especially if the burden falls largely on you, as an only child! Don't know where you are in CA or whether there is an in-person support group nearby, but this virtual community is a blessing!
Laurel

Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:40 pm

Welcome from me too, and I ditto all that has been said here. I hope you find lots of support here like so many of us have. Lynn

Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]