View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 any advice about Remerol (mirtazapine)? 

Post any advice about Remerol (mirtazapine)?
My husband (LBD) has been prescribed Remerol for depression and anxiety (and as an appetite stimulant). Made a bit of a zombie of him. After only 2 weeks I weaned him off of the meds without consulting his doctor whom neither of us knows well---only seen him once. Now my husband is "himself" once more. That means more anxious and obsessive at times but at least not drugged. Anyone had any experience with Remerol or other anxiety meds? My husband has never been on meds before, just a daily vitamin. He is 79 and this past year his condition has progressed (if that's the word). This is my first experience on the forum, so I am ready to listen.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:35 pm

Post Re: any advice about Remerol (mirtazapine)?
Stella,
Just want to welcome you to the LBDA forums, I have no advice on the drugs as they all react differently but I do suggest reading:

Continuum - Dementia with Lewy Bodies, 2004
By Bradley F. Boeve, MD

http://www.lbda.org/feature/1347/diagno ... bodies.htm

Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:46 pm
Profile WWW

Welcome to the forum! Can't answer your question about Remerol, as I'm not at all familiar with it, but I'm glad you found us and hope you will stay to learn, to share, to be supported and encouraged. God bless!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:06 pm

hi welcome to the forum

my husband is on this med and has been for 5 months.. and honestly i'm not sure its doing anything.. he on 30 mlg at bedtime... he too, was anxious and a tad depressed... but the main reason for starting it was the hallucinations and delusions.. she was hoping it would help him sleep and not have them.. in the beginning it worked for that, but lately it isnt.. the depression seems the same and the anxiety still comes and goes...

we have an appointment next month and im going to talk to her about the med and if its worth taking or maybe there is something else.. he was on trazadone for the sleep .. but she thought this might help with all .. not just the sleep.. i dont see that it is..??

not sure that helped much.. but good luck

cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:52 pm

I know you didn't ask this, but I feel so strongly that, when we notice a drug is not doing anything helpful, we should ask the doctor to discontinue it. If it's doing no good there's no point taking something that surely has some negative effects--at least cumulative. Just my soap box thing. :P

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:09 pm

And additionally, if it isn't doing any good, why spend money on one more thing that's not necessary? BTW, welcome! Lynn

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:28 pm

not sure if you are talking to me or??

i guess i'm trying to decide if it is, doing any good..hadn't noticed anything on the depression or anxiety.. but she had just raised it up on our last visit.. 2 months ago.. and until three weeks ago it was holding off the hallucinations and delusions, (or so i thought..) but when they kicked back in, now i'm questioning if they were doing any good, at all?? so when we go in, that will be our first discussion... i'm with you on not taking meds that are not working... but she told me it might take a month or two to see any difference.. and since the reg doc is messing with the bp and the cholesterol in the last two weeks.. thought it might be better to get those regulated, before switching and changing three at one time...
as far as the cost she gave me a three month supply, which we are still using...

and its ok, please stay on your soap box..this is a huge learning experience for me... and appreciate all the help i can get..

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:08 pm

Welcome Stella! Glad you found us (sorry you need us). You'll find we don't all share the same opinions, but we'll sure give you something to think about!

How long ago was your LO diagnosed? (You don't have to share that, but sometimes it helps put things in perspective for us.) It is fabulous that he has not been on meds before -- lucky you -- but that probably makes this a hard adjustment. Many of the symptoms of lbd can be greatly improved with medications, and it is worth the effort it takes to get them right, in my opinion. The challenge is, and this is a surprise for most people who don't take drugs, what works for one person doesn't work or can even be harmful for another person. :| It is literally a process of trial and error to find the right meds! If the first drug doesn't work, it doesn't mean the doctor is incompetent. The only way to know is to try, so doctors have to take their best shot and monitor the results carefully. Typically they start with what works for most people, or what has the least side effects.

I agree with those who said not to keep taking a drug that doesn't seem to be helping. BUT I think that the prescribing doctor should always be involved. I don't know anything about that drug, but maybe two weeks isn't long enough to tell how it is going to work. Many drugs need to build up in the system, and many drugs have initial side effects that decrease or go away over a few weeks time. I've learned a lot in the course of my husband's disease. Now when a doctor prescribes something new for me or for him I ask, "Now long will this take to work?" "Are there any side effects that I should call you about?" "Are there other side effects that I should just wait out, and how long should I wait?"

[I started a new pill myself in December. It made me spacey (as the doctor warned me it might). I knew that I could not continue that way long term and still earn a living 8) but the doctor said it was usually temporary. I hung in there and it cleared up. (Or maybe I just got used to being a space cadet.) It was effective for its purpose so I'm still taking it.]

Since this is a trial-and-error process, a doctor cannot know if the trial was successful unless you provide feedback. Even if you've only seen the doctor once and don't feel real comfortable with him yet, it is important to leave a message at the clinic with your concerns and ask for a call back, in my opinion.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:20 pm

Welcome Stella, you'll find this is a wonderful place to get info and vent.

Frank's Dr. didn't think the Namenda was helping any longer, I eliminated the AM dose and after 10 days he became mean and didn't seem to understand any directions. I emailed his Dr and he said put him back on the AM dose. I tried again to see if he had the same reaction and he did, after 4 days he again got mean and impossible to deal with. We will be in the donut hole next month, so eliminating a med would have been nice.
Take Care, Gerry

Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:10 am

We have several in our local LBD support group who love Remeron. They say it's greatly helped their LOs' sleep and depression. This is just further evidence that meds don't react the same way in everyone.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:20 am

My MIL has been taking Remeron for a couple of years now. She takes 30mg at bedtime. At least for us it has helped her sleep and appetite. Prior to starting the drug she was up every hour on the hour all night long. She would get up, go to bathroom (even if barely anything voided), drink water, and go back to bed. She never remembered any of this the next morning. Now she only gets up once or twice. Other antidepressants made her like a zombie. What is good for one is not good for another. Luckily, her doctor listened to me and we worked together to manage her care. You must be on top of all of this and never be afraid to bring things up to the doctor.

Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]