View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Raleigh, NC New Member 

Post Raleigh, NC New Member
Hello to all and thanks in advance (especially to Irene)for the wonderful information I have found here. For the past 5 years I have been primary caregiver for my parents. They lived in another state and when my dad had a (R)CVA in March 2006, I moved them here with me,so I could provide care. Just 2 months later my mom experienced her first "episode" of hallucinations, delusions and depression, her first hospitalization and her first (one of many) diagnosis that has since been ruled out and replaced with different ones from time to time.

My dad has since passed away a year ago in August 2010, but he was able to remain at home to the end. I would gladly do it all again. But with Mom, it seems the search for answers this past 5 years, has been never ending. During 2 hospitalizations she was given high dose antipsychotics and both times ended up in code situations. So with that and having "pseudo Parkinson's" being mentioned by one of the doctors to explain her increasingly stiff gait, and living through her same, recurrent delusions and paranoia, I was finally able to put the pieces together last week and eventually found your web site. I have read the stories written here and felt that you all have lived my life with me, just in different places.

I thought I was too tired to go on and had decided to place Mom- but now I believe I can pick myself up and fight one more time to have her diagnosed properly. After that I plan on taking it one day at a time. I also think I will need a lot of prayers. Thanks for listening-Brenda

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:42 pm

Post Re: Raleigh, NC New Member
Brenda,
You are an amazing daughter! You are really hanging in there with your mom. I hope that you can get her situation stabilized soon. My condolences on the loss of your father.
Robin

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:50 pm

Brenda,
Welcome to the LBDA forums, glad you found your way here and I hope that you have since tried to speak with Dr Kaufer's office and get the appointment moved up.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:17 pm
Profile WWW

Welcome. This forum is a lifesaver on many fronts. It educates you, makes you know you are not alone, and helps you to formulate good care plans for your LO. Sorry about your mom. This disease is truly a tough one, but at least you know now what you are dealing with. Smiles, Nan..husband Del, 74, dx last summer. Rapid decline.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Welcome, Brenda, and may God bless you! You will be in my prayers.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi Brenda, I'm glad you found this wonderful community of caring people who are or have already experienced what you are going through. It really helps to have the support of people who can be empathic and also provide you with info. that you may need in dealing with all the issues surrounding being a CG for someone with degenerative neuro. disease(s). Welcome from me too, Lynn

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Welcome Brenda, what a wonderful daughter you are. Hang in there. Bernie

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi Brenda, I'm so sorry for the loss of your Dad and your need to be here for your Mom. I am experiencing the same difficulties you are dealing with. I care for my 81 year old bedridden Mom who suffers from depression, and my 84 year old Dad who has lbd. It is indeed a very difficult journey, but I have found since I have joined with the wonderful people here, that life is much easier. I have at last found people who really understand and it has lightened the burden. You are in my thoughts and prayers,
Ger

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:41 am

Isn't amazing how familiar each story sounds...and yes, the road traveled is one we have all shared, just in different places at different times and speeds. Bless your heart as you care for your mama.

Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Welcome Brenda!

Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]