View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 siblings both w/lbd 

Post siblings both w/lbd
hello, i am glad to have found this site. my dad was diagnosed w/ lbd in 2004 at age 64, his only sibling, his sister also was diagnosed w/ lbd in 2009 at age 67,....no one in my family, for generations never came down w alzheimers, dementia or any other brain issues and most of them lived into there 80s. has anyone ever heard of siblings getting lbd?....tjws007@hotmail.com

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:15 am

Post Re: siblings both w/lbd
Hi Thomas - there's probably no way of knowing if this is just random selection or if there is a genetic component. I am sure you will get a lot of anecdotal feedback, but since LBD wasn't even a "real" diagnosis till a few years ago, it is doubtful that there can be any scientific answer at this point. I am so sorry for your double-whammy of your dad and his sibling with LBD. Are you the primary caregiver? Please stop here often for support and advice whenever you need it. Lynn

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:59 am

We do have one family locally where LBD (and PD) seems to be running in the family. They've looked through old medical records and have discovered it goes back 3 generations. This family has contacted various medical facilities to find out which facility offers the best genetics testing and counseling, given the geographic location of all family members. Everyone is being studied -- whether they have a neurodegenerative disorder or not.

It's very important for your family members to sign up for brain donation as that's the only way the diagnosis can be confirmed. This knowledge can benefit the entire family.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:05 pm

PS. You may not want to post your email address as it could be collected by a bot looking for email addresses. If you have provided it as part of your profile, then an EMAIL button will appear beneath each of your posts; people can email you without your posting your email address.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:08 pm

Welcome to the LBDA forums, I can't honestly say I have heard of siblings having LBD but I am sure it is very possible, now I have heard of forms of dementia being in one family, my husband had LBD his sister has Vascular Dementia dn their Mother had Alzheimers, I have been in contact with others with several forms of dementia in same families.
I hope you find the forums a place for answers and comfort !

Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:11 pm
Profile WWW

My 88-YO mother has been diagnosed with LBD. She had three siblings. Her sister was diagnosed with schitzophrenia (sp) 15 years ago and has since passed away (suicide). My recollections of phone conversations with her sounded a lot like my Mom now. Hallucinations, paranoia, fluctuating cognition. I don't know about other symptoms. I believe she had LBD but I don't really know.

One of my mother's brothers (still alive) has been diagnosed with ALZ. The other brother (still alive) has no diagnosis but he has dementia. He is probably moderate to late stage and he has hallucinations/delusions.

Four out of four. They were all late-onset. 70's or 80's.

Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]