View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 paranoia 

Post Re: paranoia
Ellen,
Welcome to the LBDA forums, sorry for your need to seek out the group,
Going through old posts is very helpful for many questions just type in a word in the seach!

Come often and if you go to the area that best fts your question or concern, it best seen by others to help with an answer!

Good luck!

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:35 pm
Profile WWW

There is no question but that Dale's obsessions have to do with his previous businesses. Just for the heck of it, I wrote down what he said tonight: "1st, we need to check with _____. We need to find out where we're supposed to go. I need 3 guys here... maybe 4. Then I need to talk with ______ and see what she says. Whether she's ready to talk with the group... We're in building ______. That's what I want to talk about. I'll introduce you. I'll be there with you. I'm making sure the papers will be delivered....."

This type of 'conversation' goes on for hours. The past two nights, it was four hours each. So far, tonight we've had an hour and a half. He is obviously unable to turn it off ..... whatever goes on in his brain.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:04 pm

No, sadly, she doesn't seem able to do it anymore. My sister bought her all kinds of watercolors and encouraged her, but apparently she wasn't up to it. She sketches in pencil sometimes but it is nothing like her earlier work.

Julianne

p.s. But you should try! I am sure you have talent your never knew about.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:09 pm

Quote:
I am sure you have talent your never knew about.
Nah! I'm sure if I did it would have surfaced by now!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:15 pm

My dad wasn't obsessed with documents, but he was obsessed with getting the newspaper. He was not able to hold a newspaper his last year or so, let alone read one, but he always wanted to make sure his papers arrived. We spent a lot of money on newspapers that ended up unread, in the trash. As one subscription ran out I wouldn't renew it. A couple of weeks before he died he no longer asked where the newspapers were. He was definitely withdrawing from activities and people to some extent. Once in a while he'd ask me how his investments were doing, and even if some had tanked I just said they were fine, that he was a good investor. He'd smile and that would be the end of the conversation. I'm glad he didn't obsess on documents, or I might have been real tempted to bring him all his paperwork that I inherited! Lynn

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Last night, Dale asked for the sports page. He hasn't read it for several weeks now. I went to get it and watched him fold it up and place it in a book I had given him that he wasn't reading. He finally handed both the book and the paper to me saying, "Put these on my desk." Later, he said, "I need a desk in here."

He wants me with him every waking moment.... If I leave the room, he calls me back every 10-15 minutes. I'm getting lots of exercise walking the hall. My frustration is that I know he can't sleep all the time... but what should he do to fill the time when he can't do anything???

Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:58 am

The caregiver that comes on Wed. keeps trying to come up with "something" that might interest Frank. Except for our mile walk, when the weather allows, there's nothing that Frank can do. Yesterday he wanted to go out and shovel, he ended up falling, not hurt, then shovel the bankings into the walk, but it kept him busy for 1/2 hour. I was thinking of getting a childs game, I donated all ours, something like candy land, just trying to think of SOMETHING.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:49 am

Gerry, I dn't know whether this would work for you...my husband is pretty well along on his Lewy Journey....but I have bought puzzles that he puts together. We used to do a lot of travelling so I bought a puzzle of he United States and he used to put that together. It is now a little advanced for him. He is doing puzzles that have 12 pieces and have a board that confines the pieces. The puzzles are wooden and i got a couple of them at Walmart and a couple at Toys r Us. I also bought a set of large sized Lego's that make up a truck and a tractor and a pull behind thing. This morning he made what I thought was a Bazooka Gun but he informed me it was a sprayer. I have also bought a "men's tool box' from the Alzhiemer's Store as well as a four layer activity bin and a "fiddler" which is something to keep his hands occupied. Mostly he likes tactile things that he cAn manipulate. The things from the Alzheimers store I just bought online so they are not here yet. Hope this helps. Having an activity Del can get involved with really helps him not to go looking for trouble. Smiles, Nan

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:48 pm

This wouldn't apply to Dale, but it might be something to consider for Frank. We use wash cloths as single-use hand towels. They go from a pretty basket next the sink to an open hamper. I wash a load of towels several times a week. It is Coy's job to fold them and fill the pretty baskets. He is also in charge of noticing when a basket is empty and replacing it with a full one. He's my towel man! :lol: Since we have so many it usually doesn't matter if it takes him a couple of days to get a load folded. (He used to wash the towels. He can still navigate the steps to the laundry room but I don't want him doing it with a laundry basket, so I do the washing.)

In addition to giving him something to do with his hands and a nice tactile experience (don't you love the feel of terry cloth?), he can recognize this as a true contribution to the smooth running of the household. We need towels. He sees that we have them ready to use.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2