View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 paranoia 

Post paranoia
Is paranoia "normal" for a person suffering from LBD? My 78 year old mom is in a NF and frequently tells me that people are always whispering about her and are out to get her. Some of her conversations concern me since I'm not able to determine what's reality from the dementia. I visit her Monday through Friday during the day and the last two days I've been sick and was not able to visit. And of course I worry about how she's being treated when I'm not around.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:31 pm

Post Re: paranoia
My husband was paranoid early in the disease and on/off later on. He may still be paranoid but does not express it.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:02 pm

my hubby is very paranoid.. always has been some, since vietnam.. but its waaaaay worse now!!
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:20 pm

It seems to me that Dale is 'busier' with his business concerns now than he ever was owning four companies. He is forever asking me to make copies of imaginary documents, etc. He is always afraid someone will cheat him and take everything we own. It's Paranoia with a capital 'P.'

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:39 pm

Early on Frank was very paranoid, not so much in the last few years.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:54 pm

Gerry.... I think the type of Paranoia has changed. Early on, Dale was forever locking doors and hiding things. Now that he is in bed all the time, he can't do that. Instead, he spends hours talking to the ceiling. The worry is still there. It's just about all he thinks about.

The visiting nurse today said it has been her experience that the more involved the men were in their lives, the more 'stuff' is in the brain to worry them.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:10 pm

Leone, I guess you're right, there must be levels of paranoia. Frank is always concerned that someone is stealing our truck or car. I just thought it was hallucinating, that he thought he saw someone trying to break into them. Our life is a mystery these days. He was also determined that he was going home tonight, I was surprised I got him into so easily.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:21 pm

Ellen -

You might want to spend some time in the "Learn about LBD" section of the LBDA's website at lbda.org. In particular, check out this list of symptoms here:

http://www.lbda.org/category/3438/symptoms.htm

Delusions are listed as a possible symptoms. Paranoid delusions are common.

Robin

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:53 pm

My LO used to be more paranoid and she is much less now, but the seed of the paranoia has not changed. Her attitude has. Let me explain...unlike many people in their 80's her hearing is extremely acute. She hears everything that everyone says and, being the center of her universe, she thinks that whatever they say is about her. Someone down the hall will say something and she will answer - even raising her voice (which is rare). This leads to many misunderstandings because most of the conversations are not about her. When I am present I can explain. At other times, the conversations build in her mind into paranoid delusions. There is usually a kernel of truth to her delusion, but it is something about someone else. All I can do is repeat that she is safe, that we love her, that she is well-liked at the ALF. I feel that after many years she trusts what I say above what she thinks is happening. Time passes and things change. Good luck to you. AnnieN

Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:29 pm

AnnieN.- your post sounds exactly what my mom is going through. It is very helpful to read all these stories and realize that we are not alone and that there is support out there for all of us. Thank you

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:32 am

AnnieN - There is no question that Dale's constant paranoia is the hardest symptom for me to cope with at this point. I had hoped that once he was in bed 24/7, he would relax and let the world go by.

On the contrary, his every thought is about some danger, threat, enemy, missing money, debt, etc. He hears imaginary sounds, he sees imaginary people, he even feels his mattress has 'coke cans' in it.

I play music to calm him. I try to talk softly to him. Nothing works. I don't know what else to do. I am totally frustrated.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:17 pm

Derek was frantic today because he didn't know where 'the documents' were. He thought they should be in the chest of drawers in his room but they were not. So...I guess I'll take him his briefcase and stuff it full of 'documents'. I'll bet he'll say they are not the ones he wanted. He seems to be interested in scientific papers from 'way back. I told them those that were published are still in the archives and that those that weren't are still company property. But, of course, that won't satisfy him. :| Are all Lewys obsessed with documents, do you think?

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:26 pm

Not Fran, I doubt he would know one if he saw one. He is obsessed with the mail and trucks (he worked for the post office as a truck driver) I think it probably has to do with their former work. As Yoda would say, "Mmmmm living in the past are they" Bernie

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:52 pm

My mother isn't interested in documents at all. She also seems to have lost the ability to read, beyond a few words, so maybe that's why. Also, she was an art teacher by profession so her work did not revolve around documents, so that might also explain it.

Julianne

Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:37 pm

Julianne, is she still able to paint? My husband used to paint and was quite talented. A couple of years ago I brought home a bunch of new painting supplies. He would get them out, measure the paper, sort the paints and that was all. Never did he touch paper with brush. He is simply not interested any more. I hung a print of one of his paintings outside his door at the SNF and it attracts a lot of complimentary comments but it doesn't inspire any interest on his part. But, then, painting was something he took up after retirement, not something lifelong. Maybe I'll start painting. I have zero artistic talent but it might be fun, anyway.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next