View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 New Diagnosis for Mom 

Post Re: New Diagnosis for Mom
For several years my dad would not allow his PCP to administer the mini mental or anything like it, so the dr. would kind of sneak in some of the questions while doing a routine exam. By the time my dad was hospitalized, he no longer realized he was having the test! Funny thing was, during his hospitalization when they asked "who is the president" he said, "young man from Illinois, everybody really likes him, he's really smart and was a great senator". He couldn't come up with the name but had a very accurate description! Lynn

Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:16 pm

Yes, I love it! These are the days when I seem to question my sanity. Okay, can I remember the three words the Dr. asked Mom to remember? Mom has a calendar and writes most things down- which actually works well for me now. But, when we would call, she could look at the calendar and ask questions about the trip, interview, dr's appt etc. I'm glad though- reminds me of the middle school kids I taught- I always had to stay a step ahead. Very sneaky-the clock test is visual spatial-right?

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:06 pm

Yes, I believe so. His linear thinking got noticeably worse too during that time. If you asked him what time it was he might say "250" and it could be 7:30, or he might say "when am I going to breakfast?" and it was late afternoon and he got mixed up that it was dinner time. I was just reading a post of mine from last winter when my dad had called me in a panic saying "I can't get to dinner. It's snowing so hard outside that the people are 6 to 8 feet thick and they won't be able to push my wheelchair through that." I reassured him that the dining room was 50 feet down the hall, there was no snow inside the ALF and he'd be fine. You just have to laugh sometimes! Lynn

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:17 pm

Lynn, that's exactly the kind of remarks I'd hear from Derek. He's say he had to put his shoes on to get to his bedroom because he'd 'have to walk through the rain', or 'through puddles', etc. In fact, this has been a constant theme over the last couple of years.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:42 pm

I'm afraid to admit it, but I couldn't remember the 3 words during my mom's last test! :cry: "

Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:34 pm

We quit doing the mini-mental when my MIL started thinking that Johnson was president and drew a curved line around the outside of the clock instead of the two hands. Now she can't express her thoughts at all and doesn't remember having a meal immediately after eating. I'd say that's pretty low on the scale. We are all, it seems, in this together. Thank God for this forum!

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:31 pm

Lynn,
I was just reading a post of mine from last winter
I think that is one of the benefits of posting on this forum. To have a record of what was happening and what it felt like, to look back and remember the funny and the sad times, and to be grateful when it is all over. I'm glad that you are still here with your reflections and experience. It is nice to know that there is life on the other side of this disease!
Happy New Year!
Debbie

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:24 pm

Thanks Debbie. Yes, there is life on the other side, and I've only been on the other side for 31 days. My dad was so ill by the time he died I am feeling a huge relief that he no longer suffers. He was in terrible shape. I have missed the dad he was for quite a while now. But, knowing he isn't suffering really is helping. That was the worst part for me - seeing him suffer. Have a good night. Lynn

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2