View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 New from Texas - glad to find this site! 

Post New from Texas - glad to find this site!
My Dad was diagnosed with LBD about 2 years ago. For a year, the Dr. kept telling my Mom it was just Parkinson's but I knew something else was wrong. After much internet research - I found LBD and Dad was classbook symptomatic! Finally the Doctor told her I was right! So, because of this we really don't know when he started having LBD but now shows stages III and IV.

A week ago, my Mom was put in the hospital with a blood clot to the lung. She wasn't taking care of herself and taking care of Dad had taken a toll on her. She is still there but not in ICU anymore. She is convinced when she is released she can continue taking care of Dad. She has shielded me from how bad the situation is with him and how demanding it can be so imagine my surprise when Boom - overnight my life completely changed.

I have been taking care of Dad since Mom can't and the stress level is unimaginable sometimes. And I've only done this a WEEK! Of course my own family is loud and busy with teenagers running in and out around here but Dad doesn't seem bothered by it. He doesn't seem to know where Mom is most of the time - he just thinks she's out there somewhere - he has Capgras syndrome also (found that out through this site!)

One night I was pulling my hair out when I sat down and found this site. I love reading the community boards and all the posts came alive for me - ya'll understand totally! I knew I had to become a member because my life has changed and I want to be equipped to handle it for my Dad and Mom.

Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:37 am

Post Re: New from Texas - glad to find this site!
Texas Lady -

Sorry to hear about both of your parents. Do you have other siblings? Perhaps you can speak now with the discharge planner at your mother's hospital to figure out how to protect your mother's health. What about placing your father in a care facility? Or getting 7x24 help for your mother at their home?

Where in TX are you? Perhaps you can identify the MD your father sees as he sounds like he might be a good one.

Robin

Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:12 pm

Welcome to the forum! I am so sorry for all you and your family are having to deal with. I hope you find lots of valuable info. and support here as you continue to help your parents. Take care of yourself too! Lynn

Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:59 pm

Welcome to the LBDA forums and I am also glad you found us, sorry for all that has ben happening with your parents ! Sadly caregivers often end up being sick just as your Mom has and care plan is needed before your Mom comes home as already mentioned, join us often !

Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]