View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Residentail home and Ken 

Post Residentail home and Ken
Yesterday we transferred Ken from the SNF to a 6 bed residential facility. I hate to sound overly optimistic but the day went great! He was a bit hesitant when we arrived but my daughter and SIL were waiting there when we got there and Bristol diverted Ken's attention while we brought his belongings through the door and set up his room. He ate more for dinner than any day at the SNF, a good sign.
About the SNF: I felt the need to be there at all med times because somehow the messages to crush the meds, to feed him slowly, etc.... never transferred from one shift to the next. The day before we left he hadn't been able to keep down/swallow any of his after-breakfast meds, so the nurse told me she'd try again in an hour. That was at 9AM. I had appointments that kept me away until 3PM and when I returned and asked her if he was able to keep down the meds she re-gave him she told me he had been resting peacefully and didn't want to disturb him. In fact he had been staring at the ceiling because that is what he does. I asked her about his 50mg seroquel after lunch and she told me she didn't know he was supposed to have any! Additionally, I asked her to change the splint on his dislocated finger because it stank to high heaven and she neglected to 'get around' to that also. It is no wonder to me that accidents and errors occur at such a high incidence. Thanks for the rant. At least I got in a bit of optimism! Sher

Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:51 am

Post Re: Residentail home and Ken
Sher,
I am glad the transfer went so well and I hope it can give you some peace of mind but we always have to be vigilant with facilities.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:05 am
Profile WWW

Sher - I'm glad he is out of that SNF! And, glad that he seems better at the new place. You are so right about being vigilant. Even the nice place where my dad is, and where it appears things are done right, right doesn't always happen. One day I found out that the dressing on his pressure sore hadn't been changed in days - can you imagine, a pressure sore on his tailbone and it hadn't been changed????? Hospice and the director were quite upset when they found out. Hope you have better days ahead, Lynn

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:12 am

I have been fighting the facility for three years and have had it. Tony is in last stages with swallowing issues,significant weight loss, etc. I have today contacted the Hospice House near me and have spoken with them about transferring him. It is not about me any more, it is about him and his comfort at the end of his life. He has hospice care at the facility and I love my nurse, but I am doing most of his care as he cannot bear any weight anymore, scop patch isn't working, on and on. I hope this is the best thing for him. I am worn out. For all of us who know, caregiving does not go away when they are placed...it is just another pair of hands.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:27 am

I have heard such good things about hospice homes, so I hope you can move him there asap. Sorry to hear about his decline, and it's so hard to deal with the disease and then to have to deal with things that we shouldn't have to worry about, like meds dispensing, meds prescribed, dressings needing changing, lack of communication in facilities, drs. and nurses not knowing about the disease, etc. It is more than a double whammy. I hope you can hold yourself together! Sending you lots of hugs, Lynn

Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:58 am

I am trying to do that! Hopefully this will aleviate some of the stress I have been feeling for oh so long. You are right, managing care in a facility is something that is very hard to deal with. Never seems to be their fault anything that goes wrong. Or at least that is what they claim. I would not have made it as long as I have without Hospice. By the way, my hubby lived in Vermont for many years, Middlebury and Jamaica. Beautiful state but toooooo cold for me!! Thanks for hugs...I will gladly take them.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:35 am

Just when I think it's cold here, I check the weather where my son is in Wyoming. It's nearly tropical here by comparison! LOL! We were in WY last week and it goes down around freezing every night, we had a hail storm in town on Thurs., and lots of snow on the mountaintops. I was so glad that wasn't VT! Middlebury is a great town, but never heard of Jamaica, VT. Will have to look that up.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:37 pm

My Mom was in a hospice house her final days and I couldn't have asked for better care for her and I know at least her final days she was cared for with utmost dignity.

I hope you experience is same!

Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:35 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks...dignity and comfort is what I want for Tony...and what has been lacking at his present facility. I have fought the fight there but cannot go on any longer and neither can he. I pray his passing is peaceful.

Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]