View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Any recommendations.....? 

Post Any recommendations.....?
Hi, I'm new here, so glad to find you. I've been jumping around and half the posts I could have written myself, about my husband (Ken, 64) who was finally diagnosed 2 years ago. Something I haven't found, though, is suggestions on anything that might hold his interest. He can no longer read, doesn't seem interested in television or movies, can't play card or board games. He does like car rides, for limited time, but that isn't always an option as I also care for his mother (90) and can't always leave the house. Ken does attend Silverado once a week and "participates" in the Men's Drumming Circle, a music therapy session. Does anyone else have a LO who is fairly advanced in their LBD who has found anything to occupy their time or bring a little joy to their lives? Thanks, Sher
P.S. Are there any support groups in the San Diego, CA area?

Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:03 pm

Post Re: Any recommendations.....?
First of all, welcome to the forum! This topic was discussed just yesterday on the LBD Caring Spouses Forum on Yahoo, which you might consider joining, as well. It's a private forum just for spouses.

Activities. That's a tough one. Everything I have tried for my husband has not worked out. He cannot do the simplest child's jigsaw puzzle, cannot fit Lincoln Logs together, is unable to read or follow a TV or movie plot. He used to paint, so I bought him a bunch of new painting supplies but so far all he has done is measure pieces of paper. When I ask him why he isn't painting, he says he's 'not ready'. He was able to do a bit of the daily crosswords until a few months ago. He still tears them out of the paper but is unable to even start one now. Someone suggested sorting nails or screws and even coins. I'm thinking that might be something he could do.

He likes to sort papers, tear up papers and hide bits of paper. Not sure why, but he has a thing for paper. I gave him a bunch of 'important documents' to sort and file in his briefcase. Joy? Nothing gives him joy, alas! :cry:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:15 pm

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will find it a very useful tool for information and support. Your husband is still so young - I am sorry you are at this stage already.
All the things my Dad used to do he no longer does. The last things he was hanging on to were the crossword puzzles and watching baseball both of which have recently stopped. When I visit with him I do the crossword with him. I ask him the clues and I do the writing. He still knows a lot of the answers so this works. He just cannot write or sort out where to write it.
Since he is in LTC he has access to lots of activities (Bingo, board games, music time, pet therapy) but he doesn't seem interested in much - I enjoy it when I am there visiting though!
Has anyone tried audio books? I have wondered if my Dad could concentrate on that.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:35 pm

I think there is a SG in San Diego. Check lbda.org.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:02 pm

Sher,
Welcome to the forums sorry for your need to be here !

I don't see a live support group in that area unless it is in a town that I don't equate with SD,but do go to the LBDA web page and check for yourself, as mentioned about from Pat there is a online support group for spouses only, just helps to know you aren't alone in this illness.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:18 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks Irene (and all of you). How do I get in touch with the spouses only support group? BTW I'm going to try the coin-sorting idea today, I'll let you know if he likes it. Thanks again.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi Sher - Welcome and sorry for your need to be here. Here are some other ideas (perhaps you've already tried them) but here goes:

playing his favorite music and encourage him to dance (unless he's immobile)
getting a fish tank with lots of colorful fish he could watch (that's more work for you to keep it clean, though)
Legos or other kids' building blocks

I am so sorry for your having to deal with this at such a young age. Lynn

Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Sher,
Here is the link: You won't be sorry you joined!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LBD_caringspouses/

Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]