View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 New 

Post New
My 78 yo mother has been diagnosed with middle/end stage LBD. She has had confusion for a few years now. Looking back, I think she has been going through this for 4-5 years. No one diagnosed it.

Well, it's extremely difficult knowing what is ahead for us. She has 24 hour care at home. The hardest part to accept is knowing she will soon forget her children and grandchildren. She is already having difficulty recognizing us. She cannot swallow most foods. Food needs to be pureed for her swallow it.

She just got out of the hospital 6 days ago w/ a skin infection. She is back in w/ a blood clot.

All I keep doing is crying. The more I think about it, the more I cry.

How do you all deal with this very harsh reality?

Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Post Re: New
Hi Jakey - I am so sorry to hear about your mom, but if you read through the forum postings, probably starting with the Intros. you'll see just how much you are not alone in this. There are so many of us going through what you are, some whose LOs journeys have ended, and it is a big comfort to be able to come to this online community for support, info., share ideas, frustrations, whatever. Use all the resources you can find to help you through this. Do you have a local support group or a counselor who specializes in caregiver support? Those are helpful too, as well as this forum and the LBD chat.
I was kind of in a state of shock last summer when my dad got so ill and incapacitated, basically overnight. He never really recovered and just continues to go downhill in precipitous declines. He has now been on hospice for about 3 weeks and I am glad they are working out so well. Has your mom been evaluated by hospice? You might be able to get her services from them and that will be helpful to you too.
Stop by here often. I can "hear" the pain you are going through. Lynn

Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Jakey, Welcome, you'll find this forum very helpful, I think we all deal with it "one day at a time", sometimes it's hour by hour.

Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:11 pm

Jakey - one other thought - when I get really sad about the level at which my dad is now, I remind myself that he had about 86 really good years with his health, living independently, driving, etc. His dying has been a really slow process and I think he is eager to move on. His friends and family have been mourning him for a year now - his body and mind are not at all who he was. I just hope he doesn't have to endure much more of this existence. I am grateful that he is in a very nice place with mostly wonderful caregivers. Lynn

Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:04 pm

Jakey -
Sorry to hear about your dear mom. One way to help get through these challenges and stresses is to get support. Talk to a counselor, join a caregiver support group, and join an Alzheimer's support group.
Robin

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]