View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 red blisters 

Post red blisters
Getting Frustrated....
I guess I don't know how to navigate these forums yet..I made my initial post, and saw a reply, but when I went back to answer it, could find neither.My son is the geek in teh family, and he won't be here for a couple of days.
I saw some knd of blisters on my "person's" arms, reported it to the staff at the NH..after several days they had a PA look at it..now saying it may be some kind of contact dermititis (they don't know why), so he has a topical ointment to try.Has anyone else had any experience with red blisters arms and sides?
Did get some good news today, teh Talking Book program seems to have finally approved Jim for getting teh machines and the talking books...to arrive soon I hope.
Thinking of y'all in your daily struggles and concerns, and hope to hear back also~~CJ

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:13 pm

Post Re: red blisters
CJ,
I know it is hard for some to navigate the forums but if you go back to the opening page that lists all the sub catagories, click on "Introductions" and that will open to all the posts within that if you scroll down to the 4th one "another new caregiver", your post is there! Good Luck

Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:43 pm
Profile WWW

Irene~
Thank you for your response. I will more than likely learn best by making some mistakes...hopefully not too many.
I ordered teh NH to have their physician assistant check Jim's arms the blisters were not going away, and some opening, etc. Their best guess was that it was some form of contact dermititis, they were not at all sure from what.But, they are giving him a topical ointment anyway, which seems to be relieving the itching that was pestering him.
I am wondering, if there are others who have had to turn to a Nursing Home.....?

CJ

Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Cindy, There are others on this forum that have had to make that difficult decision, we all want to keep our LO at home with us but there comes the time when you MUST be realistic. I'm finding it's difficult physically but as time goes on Frank is getting more resistance and I get so frustrated trying to do what must be done I quite often end up in quiet tears, so emotionally it is more challenging. Jim is very lucky to have you, best to both of you as you travel this bumpy road.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:15 am

Cindy - there is only so much one caregiver can give or do, and at some point many of us have had to place our LOs in an ALF or a SNF. If he becomes immobile, falls and can't get up, or other abilities decline to the point that you cannot pick up his full weight with little or no help from him, you'll need to do something.
I wish my dad could have afforded to have CGs come in 24/7 but that is so outrageously expensive that it wasn't a possibility. I'd love for him to be in his own home, but it also isn't handicapped accessible, another consideration when they become immobile.
Now he asks me to move him to the town where he lived for 60 years to the SNF because he thinks he'll get "better service" than at his ALF. The ALF is a very beautiful place with great CGs (most of them, anyway) and SO much nicer than the SNF where he thinks he wants to go. It is also $2,500 a month less expensive for him to be in a nicer place than the nursing home where he thinks he'll get better service.
Anyway, if you haven't already done so it would be a good idea to check out ALFs and SNFs now, before it becomes a crisis. That way you know the places you like, can afford, location, etc. Some places have waitlists, so that may be a consideration too. You don't have to move him until you and he are ready, but at least you'd have the info. ahead of time. Sending you good wishes in this difficult time for you. Lynn

Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:32 am

Dear Cindy Jo:

I, personally, had a problem with red bumps. There was no infection but there was an intense itch. The first dermatologist gave me steroid creams, starting with a lower strength and the third one was the strongest. The problem was that he should have known not to keep prescribing steroids. I have no medical background but when the bumps and itch began to spread, I read the package insert and found the warning not to use it more than two weeks over a widespread area. I had been applying the cream to my whole arm every day for nearly six months. After realizing that I was being "poisoned," I went to a second dermatologist who diagnosed the bumps as folliculitis. He prescribed an antibiotic and the bumps went away. It has taken six months for my skin to return to normal (it looked like alligator skin).

I just wanted to let you know of my experience of overuse of steroid cream and the resulting skin damage.

The itch continued off and on and the nurse in the neurologist's office told me to try liquid benadryl for children (not the adult pill form). I did and the itching finally stopped. A side benefit was that it helped me sleep better.

Good luck,
Joy

Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Do they put sunscreen on your LO? A few years ago I became allergic to all sunscreens except Neutrogena (which has Helioplex in it) and Banana Boat (the kind with Avotriplex in it). No matter where I apply other types of sunscreen, the first place the contact dermatitis shows up is on the inside of my left arm, even if I've only used a tiny bit on my nose. Then it spreads to the inside of my right arm, then the inside of my left thigh, then the inside of my right thigh. By the time it's spread that far, my arms are covered with what looks like poison ivy. It has been following this same pattern for about 4 years. I thought it was the massage oil at the hotel spa where we were staying, so I quit having massages for the rest of the vacation, but kept applying sunscreen. Bummer! Next year in the Caribbean, same thing. Finally figured out it was the sunscreen..... Just a thought in case they take him outside and lather him up before taking him out. Lynn

Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:18 pm

Hi. I don't have any tips about red blisters, but I wanted to mention that benedryl (suggested by another poster as an itching solution) is anticholinergic and can negatively affect a LBD patient if it is given to them. If you do a search on this forum, which you do by clicking on "search" located at the top right hand of this screen and type in "benedryl", you will find several posts on it. Specifically, there is an article on common anticholinergic medications at this location: LA Times article on anticholinergics + a list

Cheers, Annie

Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:01 am

That's right, Annie. Benadryl by mouth is a bad drug for PD/Lewy. My husband took it for years at night [before Lewy was dx] to help him sleep. I often wonder how much damage it did. His urologist made him stop because it caused severe urine retention. I think there might be a Benadryl cream, though, that might be effective [and safe] if the blisters are an allergy or contact dermatitis.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:02 am

Joy was speaking about using children's liquid Benadryl for herself. She doesn't have LBD.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:55 pm

Thank you all for your posts! I hope I did not nmis-speak somewhere...JIm is already in a Nursing Home...faced that hurdle already. I have very mixed feelings about nursing homes in general, which you may hear even in-between the lines.
I have been away from teh Forum for a bit, as I got quite sick myself with a URI (and still not over it).My son got it too, and yesterday he was ordered by his doc to get a CT of his brain, he was worried the infection may have gone in there...thank God it was negative.
Jim has been a lot of different things since I got so sick, and of course all he wants is to see me. I hope part of him realzes why I can't at this point.
When I finally felt good enough to sit up today and go online, I was tickled to death to see some responses under my post.Thank you!
BTW...the dr gave Jim a topical ointment for his blisters, and teh staff says they are gone.
It is hard not to get depressed by living so close to such a determined disease...I learned by getting sick, that isolation is definitely detrimental! This Forum can be a great way to connect, I see :-)
I think of y'all by name on a daily basis, as I have to ask for help to continue, myself.
Hope to hear from you again soon.Bless You.
CJ

Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Cindy Jo. I agree. This forum and the spouse forum at yahoo groups are wonderful. Reading them is the singularly most helpful part of my day.

Glad the red bumps are gone.

Nan

Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Benadryl cream and gel are both helpful products. I use one of those when I have contact dermatitis (which I now have from putting someone else's sunscreen on them, which I should have known better than to do....) so I am using it daily. It works really well for insect bites/stings too.
CJ - hope you are doing better today. Hang in there. Sending you big hugs over the internet. Lynn

Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]