View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 LBD Patient Life Expectancy 

Post Re: LBD Patient Life Expectancy
I'm sure I would hate to give up driving too, but I hope that I still have the sense to know when I need to, like some of your LOs have done. It was a most unpleasant conversation with my dad, and he said "You act like you don't trust me anymore." I said "I trust you but I don't trust your driving." I took the keys to his vehicles to my sister's house because I really couldn't trust that he would stop driving when I left his house and returned to my home. With no one there to keep an eye on him I figured he would drive either because he forgot he promised to give it up, or he still thought he was ok to drive and I wouldn't find out. What a difference a year makes.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:03 pm

I'm sure I would hate to give up driving too, but I hope that I still have the sense to know when I need to, like some of your LOs have done. It was a most unpleasant conversation with my dad, and he said "You act like you don't trust me anymore." I said "I trust you but I don't trust your driving." I took the keys to his vehicles to my sister's house because I really couldn't trust that he would stop driving when I left his house and returned to my home. With no one there to keep an eye on him I figured he would drive either because he forgot he promised to give it up, or he still thought he was ok to drive and I wouldn't find out. What a difference a year makes.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi~
My mother in law was diagnosed with Lewy Body in Oct '07, at 72 years old. Looking back now, the symptoms appeared a couple years prior, but because she was widowed, and lived alone, she compensated in ways that were hard for us to see at the time. Today, I came to this site because she is now in her final stages. It has been about 3 years to the day that she became very symptomatic. I was here in the beginning asking the same questions, trying to figure out if the diagnosis made sense........and what I have learned is that she was text book. The past 3 years have been LONG. Slow declines over many months. She was fortunate enough to have the resources to live in a wonderful assisted living community, and fortunate to have a wonderful, private, 24 hour caregiver at the facility for about the past 6-7 months. At this point she needed the 24 hour care when it came to bathing, eating, and keeping active. She could no longer speak, but we believe she took in more than she could communicate. The past few months, she was moved to an apartment in the memory care unit, and her aide was relieved of her services. Hospice services had become in place, as she had become very immobile and now was rapidly declining. The facility, fortunately was able to accomodate her needs until now. Yesterday, was the day hospice came in to keep her comfortable and to care for her in her last days. She had eaten the day before, but yesterday she started to aspirate and one lung had become filled with fluid. Today, looking at her breathing, became almost unimaginable. Hospice is administering morphine and another drug to relieve her congestion and make her comfortable. It has been a horific 3 years, and I can't imagine a family member taking on the care alone. I am relieved that it will be over soon. She had said in the beginning that she wished she had cancer. She was a nurse for 35 years, and knew what the disease would become. My heart goes out to anyone who is dealing with this horific disease. There is no time line....just alot of time.

Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Your MIL is lucky to have such a caring DIL. I hope she passes as peacefully as possible soon, so she is released from this awful disease. My thoughts are with you tonight. Lynn

Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:02 pm

canderson1122 -
I hope your mother-in-law's passing is peaceful. Sounds like it's been a long ride for you all.
Robin

PS. Did you previously post to the Forum under a different name?

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2