View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 New Member from MA 

Post New Member from MA
Over the past year, my brother (Northwest) and I (Southwest), became aware that our 92 year old mom was having issues with memory loss and hallucinations in regard to her sister and brother-in-law who live next door to her in New England. I flew 'home' to Logan airport in Boston in early January. It was immediately apparent that mom's problems were far more acute than we'd feared. Our mother is a "stubborn old Yankee" who has lived alone in her home on Buzzards Bay for many years. She has always been competent and independent, so it has been sad to witness her decline. In an attempt to preserve my sanity, I began documenting my experiences dealing with her problems. It has been an exhausting, frustrating, and draining process getting her assistance. It might have been a far more simple road we've been forced to travel had my brother and I been able to get mom a diagnosis of her problems in a timely fashion. This resource would have answered a lot of questions, if only we'd been aware of it. My chronicle of all this is posted at http://www.mydimentiachronicle.com

Wed May 19, 2010 7:23 am
Profile WWW

Welcome Jeff and sorry you've had to join us here. I, too, wish I'd known about this wonderful forum and chat a year ago so I might have been much better prepared for what was to come. There is a lot of very up to date info. here and many, many very supportive folks who have been through or are going through what you are now experiencing.
I was pretty blindsided by my parent's decline too. When I think that he was driving and living independently a year ago I am astounded at how much physical and mental decline he's had in such a short time.
You'll get a lot of support here so I hope you continue to get on the forum for whatever you need. Take care, Lynn

Wed May 19, 2010 1:02 pm

I really appreciate your honesty and all the details in your blog about dealing with your mother's LBD. You are all doing the best you can, and that's to be commended.

Assuming you recommend them both.... What's the name of the MD who gave your mother a tentative diagnosis of LBD? And what's the name of the Mass General MD who said that this diagnosis made sense to her?

Robin

Wed May 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Welcome Jeff - I don't post on the Forums much - but wanted to say hello b/c I'm in Mass. too - I plan to share your blog w/ my local support group. We're having a meeting this coming Thursday - you're welcome to join us - it's in Jamaica Plain (there are other Mass. groups too - we're at 4 now)

Anyway - you're in good hands over here on the Forums - but wanted to say hello since we're both in Mass. :)

Victoria

Victoria; loving daughter of Maureen of Boston, MA; dx'd with LBD in 2/2006; fell victim to rapid decline from Risperidone; Was successful on Celexa, Exelon, ALA & B1; Mom became my Guardian Angel on Sept. 30th, 2006.

Wed May 19, 2010 5:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]