View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Another new caregiver. 

And I don't know any assisted living facilities that take Medicaid. Skilled nursing facilities do.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:44 am

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:58 am

If you go to the web site Snap for Seniors and choose the Assisted Living option, then check Payment, choose Medicaid as the search criterion it will list those that accept Medicaid payment.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:19 am

Post Re: Another new caregiver.
Hi Tanya,

Welcome to the forum! You will find that this is the best resource for finding answers and getting support. I very much admire you and the responsibilities you are taking on for your Dad. Also I want to agree with Robin, I am a clinical health psychologist with some neuropsych background as well. Until I lived it with my Mom, I had no training in Lewy Body Dementia, lots in Alzheimers, but not LBD. I don't think it is even in the DSM-IV (our diagnostic manual) as a diagnosis to give. We aren't trained to make those types of diagnoses, perhaps dementia and rule out LBD but that would be about it (that would be in a case where the psychologist is familiar with LBD, but needs consultation with other professionals to determine the diagnosis). And if it was a neuropsychologist that made the diagnosis, I can't think of a single neurocognitive assessment that can give you an LBD diagnosis. It sounds like this Dr. means well and has your families' interest at heart, but this is a long road, I think it will be VERY important to get the diagnosis from an MD. All the various reasons for that will become more apparent as you go along. Hope that helps.

Peace,
Nancy

Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:10 pm

Howdy!
Iguess I introduced myself in the "wrong" spot under a treatment...forgive me, I am not familiars with using a forum yet!
I am 57, been caring for my best friend for over 5 years..he was originally diagnosed with vascular dementia, then Alzheimers, and finally LBD. He is 65, and it has all been hard for both of us.Especially when you say "Lewy Body Dementia" and people say "What?"
I have been in touch with lbda for a while, and when everything became overwhelming for me, someome suggested the Forum. Y'all came highly recommended!
My friend is now in a nursing home,but I am all he has.Dealing with everything for him as his POA is enough, but I am also trying to cope with losing my best friend.Frankly, I don't know how.The docs said he is now in the last stage, too.There just isn't time or energy or serenity(?) enough for all of this, for just lil ole me.
I don't want to do it alone any more. I would love to be of some help to others, and admit I need it myself.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:29 pm

Your friend is pretty young, but then there are many people on here whose LOs are even younger, which I think makes it that much harder to deal with. Anyway it is exhausting and you need to take care of you while you are taking care of him. There's lots of support here and on the LBD chat, so ask for help anytime you need it! Lynn

Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:55 pm

CindyJo,
You might think about starting a new topic/thread just for yourself so that everyone can easily find you! Start here:
posting.php?mode=post&f=11
Robin

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2