View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 New to this and need a friendly ear 

Post New to this and need a friendly ear
Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been around for a while. I too care for my seventy four year old mum,dad is still going strong, he's just the sort of person who could not deal with caring for mum full time,so I put my hand up.

Mum was first told she had Parkinsons about four years ago, but in June of last year she had a UTI and ended up in hospital for two months, she was having hallucinations seeing cats, dogs,birds, little children really disturbing to all of us.

The doctors decided to try so many different combos of drugs,mum had low blood pressure as well and all they could say was we will keep an eye on her and see how she goes.The only drug she could tolerate was Haloperidol they tried all the new meds available but the had to settle on the one medication I was petrified of. Mum was sent home with me after much debate my brother & sister both younger than me wanted to put her in a home,I just couldn't she was the best mum, she now can't walk on her own dress or toilet herself, but I don't have the heart just yet to put her in a home. sorry for the long rant,I just needed to tell you all my story. Thanks for caring. Jedka

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:01 pm

Welcome to the forum, Jedka. We do care! --Pat

Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:16 pm

Welcome Jedka! Sorry you have to be here but you are among friends here who are going through or have gone through similar experiences. There are several people newly posting on the forum who are going through that same tough decision as you are. There's a lot of great information and wonderful people on this forum and the chat. Lynn

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:40 pm

Thanks for the welcome Mockturtle & LTCVT,I Know there are tons of us carers out there.I've just had a district nurse out to asses mum,they have put her on high priority for a hospital bed & in home help of about fifteen hours a week, it's a great relief to know that this might help me keep mum at home a little longer, God willing.

Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:22 am

Welcome to the LBDA forums, sorry for your need. You will find many caregivers here dealing with the very same disease. Visit often!

Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:47 am
Profile WWW

That's great news for you. Having extra help for 15 hours will be really good for you and other family members. Good luck. Lynn

Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]