View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 early symptoms humming?? 

Post early symptoms humming??
My husband hums most all the time. Has anyone else found this to be true for their loved one? Vicki

Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:50 pm

Not mine. I've never heard him hum in the 36 years we've been together. Never heard him sing or whistle, either. I guess he's just not very musical. :wink:

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Interesting you ask about this. In the local support group, we are dealing with four atypical parkinsonism disorders -- LBD, MSA, PSP, and CBD. Nearly every single one of the PSP caregivers mentions that their family member hums. It's almost a constant hum. Various theories have been tossed out by the caregivers: it's to clear the throat of phlegm or mucus since the swallow mechanism isn't working, or it's an attempt to engage in "conversation" since speech is sometimes at a minimum.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:34 pm

HUM :x , Trying to watch TV or sleep, I have humming all the time. After a while I don't hear it. I never mentioned it, I thought it was our thing, interesting.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:23 am

Not my dad either. But, one of the men at his table at the ALF makes this rythmic semi throat clearing, semi hum constantly. I don't know if he has dementia even, but his memory is somewhat compromised. Trying to eat with this constant humming, throat clearing sound is challenging! It makes me want to stop eating it is so annoying! (maybe there's an idea for weight loss!)

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:42 am

Post Humming
Not my Mom, but there's a resident at her ALF who constantly hums or whistles, "Shave and a Haircut". Ta da da da daaa DA DA. Her nickname is Shave and a Haircut. The same tune over and over again drives everyone crazy. When they can't stand it anymore, people feed her hard candy to get her to stop. I don't know her diagnosis but her memory seems to be preserved and she can speak when she wants to. Just prefers to hummmmm.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]