View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 I'm new to the forum and need help with my dad 

Post I'm new to the forum and need help with my dad
My dad is 83 and has lbd. My mom is 85 and takes care of him.I have tons of questions,but right now I need a way to stop him from undressing in the middle of the night. Is this a common problem?

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:47 am

My Mom would get dressed and undressed all night long. That was one of the first strange signs which in my Mom's case, tumbled fast into the REM sleep disorder. She was up all night changing clothes,roaming around. That was the most difficult time for me because of the no sleep.
Sorry you're on this journey. this websight has been my saving grace.
cheri

Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:55 am

The first concrete signs that something was really wrong with my dad last spring was that he would take his clothes off in the family room in the middle of the night and fling them all over the room, then walk all the way through the house to his bedroom naked, curtains open! He also start ed taking a shower in the shower furthest from his bedroom and walk naked through the house to his bedroom. I was horrified - this was SO something he'd never done. I didn't even know what to do or say! I called my sister and she said "got get his bathrobe, put in on him and tell him he cannot walk naked through the house. That was only the first in a long line of things where I had to tell him what to do like I was raising children all over again, only this keeps getting worse instead of better.
I hope you'll read through the forum - there is so much good info. and support here. If you read the intros. you'll see all sorts of things that may remind you of things your LO is doing now, as well as practical tips about how to handle it there and in the other topic areas. I wish I'd known about this site a year ago. It would have saved a lot of heartbreaking arguments before I knew he had LBD and just thought he was being crazy, argumentative, demanding, etc. Good luck. This is not a journey any of us want to be on, but we are, and it's good to vent here as well. Good luck to you. Lynn

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:41 am

Welcome to the forum mat322. Yes, that is very common behavior. My husband has been doing that for two years now. You'll have to watch the wastebaskets carefully, because they will throw clothes in there, too.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:47 am

You might consider making a clock that shows when major activities -- sleep, eating, awake -- are to occur. See:

http://pragmaticcaregiver.blogspot.com/ ... art-1.html

Or, speak to the MD about giving a sedating medication to help your father sleep through the night.

Robin

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]