View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 New to the forums 

Post New to the forums
Hi! My mother was diagnosed about 7 months ago and we have already seen a rapid decline in her health. My mother is 59, single for most of her life, as she has always had difficult relationships to say the least, is not doing well health wise, and I was just wondering what else I can expect to help her through. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tammy

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:59 pm

Welcome to the forum, Tammy. I'm sorry to hear about your mother. What a shame, when she is relatively young, to have this horrible disease! Is she still living in her own home? I propose that you and other family members will likely have to find placement for her, as she will not be able to live independently. If she has had 'difficult relationships all of her life', living with you or other family members probably won't work, as relationships will only become more strained as the disease progresses, as you probably know.

Also, if she is still able to know what she is signing, make sure you get at least a Durable Health Care Power of Attorney document signed and notarized [laws vary according to state]. This is very, very important!

You will derive so much help, knowledge and encouragement from this forum! It is my lifeline! God bless you. --Pat

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:15 pm

Thank you so much for the hints. My mother has been moved to a residence, she had been living in her apartment with my brother (who is single) but he could no longer handle the mood swings etc. Living with me wasn't an option unfortunately, she has emphysema, and I have way too many stairs. She did give me POA and I think I have done what I can. Please let me know if you can think of anything else I would need to do. My brother now has very little to do with her, so it is myself that does everything and anything she needs. I always think I forgot something :? Thank you again for the advise and concern.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:41 pm

Does the residence have around-the-clock caregivers? If so, are they skilled in dementia care?

Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Sorry you've had to join us here.

Is your mother receiving the proper medication? Quality of life can improve in many cases with the right medication. See Boeve's "Continuum" paper on lbda.org.

Do you know your mother's wishes with regard to: hospice, hospitalization, feeding tube, intubation, living attached to a respirator, and brain donation?

Robin

Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:01 pm

Hi Tammy - welcome to a very informative and supportive community. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you read as much on this site as you can. There is so much.
I am glad you have found a place for your mom to live in. It is tragic that she is so young and so afflicted with this complicated disease.
Folks on the forum and on the chat can be incredibly helpful to you.
Lynn

Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Thank you again for all the concern shown, the support here is phenomenal :) My mother is in a residence with round the clock nursing and lots of dementia care. From the info I have found I believe she is on the proper meds, and I have noticed a noteable difference in hallucinations, but what concerns me is her cognative decline. And yes, there are days that I think there is nothing wrong with her, and others that I am not sure how long I will have her with me. I envy all the info you seem to have in the States, I am from Canada, and am finding there is very little in ways for support. I was hoping to look into brain donation etc, but haven't found any Canadian info. Perhaps someone here will have an answer for me regarding this. My mother prefers to "ignore" all her signs of LBD on her good days, she says it gives her more hope, I am hoping this will change as it progresses. Robin, you raised so many questions for me, I just knew I had overlooked some issues. I never had thought of her being on a respirator or incubation... lots more to think over

Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:37 pm

There are fewer brain donation mechanisms in Canada than in the US, but some. What city/province is your mother located in? It might be best if you email me (no private messages, please) about this.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]