View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Mother-in-law might have LBD 

Post Mother-in-law might have LBD
Hi, this may get long because this I think started awhile back. About 4 years ago my mother-in-law had a complete hip replacement. She is now 83 yrs. old. Up until that time she drove and went to work 4 hrs./day 5 days a week. Went to church every Sunday (by herself). She has had depression since she was 19. Her hip surgery went great, but coming out of the hospital (they didn't give her the depression meds. for 3 days) she was depressed and dehydrated. Rehab for her hip went well but she hasn't been the same since the replacement (mind wise). Her depression got worse and her thoughts were of suicide and sexual and she started talking to herself and one day my husband came downstairs and found her in the kitchen with a knife to her wrist!! She said that she wasn't going to do anything but we called her psychiatrist and brought her in. She was institutionalized. This happened twice. The last time (about 2 years ago) they changed her meds and put her on respirdol and serizone. Her thoughts got better, but she was still depressed and didn't want to do anything except sit in her chair and watch court T.V. We tried everything, books puzzles word games anything to get her to do something. She still didn't want to do anything. We did make her go to an adult daycare 2 days a week. (Hated to go there would make up excuses not to go)
She started to get restless leg and very anxious, shaky and not talking very much and getting very anxious when family or anyone else would come over. There is so much more that has happened but this is getting really long already.
About a week before Christmas, (Friday) ,she started complaining about her knees feeling weak and tired. Saturday morning she said that she didn't want to get out of bed she felt to weak. (We thought this was due to a funeral that we had to go to) so I stayed home and let her stay in bed. Helped her to the restroom and made her breakfast and lunch in bed. When my husband came home she finally got up but started shaking from head to toes. Thought she was having a seizure. But she was fine when she sat down. We had to help her walking she would get her feet all tangled up. We thought she was either dehydrated or UTI, which she is prone to. My husband took her to the doctors, had blood work done and urine tests. The doctor also made an appointment with a neurologist for the following day. The tests came back and she was dehydrated. The following day took her to the neurologist and she suggested possible LBD. Went to emergency and had her hydrated 1- 1/2 bottles. The following day she got up took a shower by herself and decided that she needed to vacuum. (she never does any housework). We didn't let her do this. The rest of the day she started to hallucinate and when she would fall asleep in her chair she would talk to herself and kick her leg forward and started these jerky movements that would wake her up. That's just some of the things. The next day she still did this but not as intense. By Christmas Eve she was fine. Back to her normal self.
Until this last Monday. She started to talk like she had a mouth full of cotton in her mouth and when asking her questions she would start say the Lords Prayer( that's what it sounded like anyways.) Went back to the doctors and had blood and urine test done again and they were fine. Her BUN was a little high so I started giving her more fluids. The next day her speech was fine. Now when she falls asleep in her chair she is starting her jerky movements again.
She has been diagnose with some dementia.
I hope this isn't to long or confusing for you all, but does this seem like LBD ??? I'm really confused because of the long span of time between the episodes.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:36 pm

From my layperson-only view, this could be lots of things.

Do you think your MIL fits the diagnostic criteria?

http://www.lbda.org/category/3438&cfid= ... mptoms.htm

Did the neurologist who mentioned LBD provide any pharmacological treatment? If you think LBD is likely, I suggest you have your MIL treated according to Dr. Brad Boeve's treatment regimen. (See his 2004 "Continuum" paper. You can find it on lbda.org.)

Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:06 pm

Dehydration resulting in electrolyte imbalance can cause such symptoms, particularly in the elderly.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:01 pm

Robin when you asked if the neurologist suggested pharnacological did you mean meds for LBD. Sorry just new to all this and not sure what you mean. With talking to the Doctor, she wanted to put MIL on some meds but also said that it would increase the hallucinations but would help her with the jerky motions. Can not remember what meds she said. And because she was not sure if it is LBD we opt to wait and see what would happen next. Looked at the article that you suggested, she does have some of the symptoms. Dementia, wanting to sleep all the time, her gait she shuffles when she walks and at times she is unsteady. Stooped posture and when she had the episode around Christmas drooling.
She has dry eyes/mouth and so on. She did fit into a lot of those just not all the time.
Thanks for any imput.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:34 pm

Hmmm.... Not sure you focused on the right symptoms. Does your mother have the central feature? How many of the core features does your mother have?

Yes, I was asking if your mother was given any meds to treat any symptoms which could be construed to be related to LBD. Probably the med the MD was referring to was Sinemet, used to treat parkinsonism symptoms. Or amantadine. Either can increase hallucinations.

As part of the differential diagnosis for the cause of your mother's dementia symptoms and parkinsonism symptoms, what other causes have been considered? The symptoms you describe fit many problems.

I think Family Caregiver Alliance (caregiver.org) has a good publication on the various causes of dementia. You might look around for that. Some of the causes are treatable.

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]