View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 first time posting [- husband wityh LBD 

I would probably end up cutting the guys food and wiping his chin at dinner.....
:lol:

Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:17 pm

chbaird, I love your sense of humor. God bless you for that and putting a bid smile on my face. And a thank you to everyone else for your good advice. The last thing I want to do is send him away. I will keep him with me for as long as possible. I have also read some posts about vacations and travel. Last year we rented a house on the beach near Charleston. It did not turn into a good vacation for me because he was too disoriented and wanted to go home as soon as we got there and for the rest of the week. I will go back this year with my children (this is second marriage for me - he has no children) and grandchildren but I am looking into sending him for a respite. Has anyone had experience with a 2 week respite?

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:13 pm

Cheryl, I'm not sure if I can get Frank in the car again to go to the senior program, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind. And to be honest, about the belt, my first thought was that it would make a good noose, but that wouldn't sound nice. :twisted:

I agree that the senior program, day care, is important and if Frank were the size of the toddler, that he acts like, I would pick him up and take him in. I just don't know how I can MAKE him go in. I'm going to try again tomorrow and if he refuses I'll wait and at some point hope he'll be more cooperative. There is a van, but how would I get him to go out and get into the van??? Most things he has NO clue about, but he is very aware when it comes to the day car.

I'll try again, Gerry

Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:44 pm

a noose is good.... I have had many many uh creative ideas come to me this past year.... none of which are legal, of course. :]

Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:51 pm

Keep your great sense of humor, ladies, and your creative minds. It'll help you through the roughest times if you can laugh. I have to remind myself that all the time...... Thanks for posting things today that we can all relate to and laugh about!

Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:51 pm

chbaird-you are a riot! Pushing out the car and cutting up food on a date. Hahahahaha! My hubby too has accused men of coming on to me over and over and over again. Oh yes, and the sex need was horrid! Finally he's out of all that and I talk everyone with no more acusations. It's such a blessing. I think all the meds has balanced him out finally. I so can relate to all of the posts. Thanks for giving us a good chuckle, nice way to end the night!
Lori

Oh by the way, how did the suspenders work? My caregiver suggests daily I get him some but I'm thinking that would be harder to use?

Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:31 am

Sometimes things "get lost" like belts or cell phones. Depending on the level
of cognition your LO has you might be able to make yourself a little more sane by "losing" the article that is driving you nuts.
When my dad's cell phone got laundered by mistake at his ALF, my stress level decreased significantly. I have struggled for weeks about whether or not to get him a new cell phone. He would go through these spells of calling me, my husband, my sister and one his friends multiple times in short periods of time (the worst was 30 calls in 2 hours to me and my husband). He also called us in the middle of the night, wouldn't talk, so we figured he was in major distress and we'd get up and call the ALF and ask them to see what was going on. He'd be asleep by the time they walked down the hall to check on him. I got to the point where anyone calling me on the cell phone just drove my stress level sky high.
So, at this point, I've decided to not replace it. He has a house phone which is always next to him, so we can call him, we have his caregivers help him call us (he no longer knows how to use a land line). It has helped the health of all of us who were getting these multiple calls.
So, just an idea, but maybe those annoying belts could just walk away and be replaced by non-noisy belts or suspenders.....

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:38 am

BRILLIANT IDEA ABOUT "LOSING" THINGS THAT ARE QUITE ANNOYING..... hummmmmmmmmmm well, I guess I won't bring up what just popped into my strangely twisted little mind...... Cheryl

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:21 pm

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:33 pm

Oh Cheryl, come on and share. Your sense of humor keeps us all laughing.....
Another "lost" item - my dad still tells his doctors he reads 4 newspapers a day. One by one I am letting their subscriptions run out because he doesn't read them. We are spending a lot of money getting all these papers that he can't read, and can't even hold because his arms are so weak. So, they are slipping away too..... I'd rather use the money towards his care than see it go in the trash.....

Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:58 pm

leaving forum

Last edited by martha on Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:55 am

DORTHIA - when threatened you must contact the doctor immediately... Is your husband staying in the house with you? You must protect yourself. Lock yourself in another room. Once when my husbands hallucinations got out of hand and he was walking around the bedroom with a bat looking for the intruder - the doctor put him in the hospital for observation and basically for my protection and peace of mind. ABOVE ALL ELSE - you must keep yourself safe! KEEP US POSTED!!!!! Even if he is off Ativan - contact your doctors immediately.... It may take awhile for him to calm down.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:04 am

Has the Ativan been stopped? Please let hospice know of the reaction it caused. Is there an in-patient hospice facility near you? For your safety, you may need to move your husband there.
Robin

Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:45 am

Post Misunderstanding
To Matha and chbaird, I think you misunderstood my post. My LO was always protecting me, whatever he did. He used only his finger to point at the supposed intruders. Totally blind, he could go nowhere with out me taking him. I was never in any danger. The bad people were his target. Our reason for admitting him to the psych unit one time was because he hurt himself kicking at the bad men as he thought he was protecting me. He grabbed onto the "over the bed" table and hung onto the post for seven hours because he claimed he had one of them trapped and I should leave the house because he thought if he turned the bad men loose, they would grab me. No, he was kind to me to the very end when he developed pneumonia at Thanksgiving and passed away after years of battling this illness.

I do appreciate your kind concern and you are so right with the advise for anyone who feels in danger... fortunately, I never was.

Thank you so much.

Dorthea

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice" When I joined in 2007 this is the way Mr B. introduced me to the people only he knew,he added "You need to listen to her" he was 89 then, death due to Lewy Body Dementia/pneumonia in 2009.

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:03 am

Dorothea - my apologies - I thought the post was from you. My response regarding safety was meant for Martha. I didn't quite understand. Cheryl

Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next