View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Best times to use Namenda and Aricept? 

Post Best times to use Namenda and Aricept?
My father has LBD. It's a long an particularly upsetting situation, given the current circumstances. Dad was a doctor - a very bright guy, nicely kempt... To see him these days... so sad.

All my siblings and I live several states away...Very complicated situation... I am Dad's medical advocate, have his DPOA but only upon disability - long story there too..

My purpose in joining the group however, is to try to find out the optimal times that Namenda should be administered. He is living with his ladyfriend, who frankly - is less able to make good decisions than he. Yet, he has a much better understanding of his limits than does she.

She has unilaterally decided that she should bring a pill to him in bed each morning at 6 or 7. Although I am Dad's medical advocate, she has taken to doing the opposite of what I tell her the doctors have said - even passed along to her in writing from the doctors. so I've backed off... hoping if they connect directly, she would listen... um... no so much

Dad, for his part, knows she lies and manipulates - that's what he (a man of his generation he says) expects of woman of his generation. (yes - can we spell sexist...) But, he doesn't want to hurt her feelings because 1) he feels badly when he does and 2) She berrate hims infinantly. (another thing he expects of women who don't get their way...) He feels he is too weak to fight with her anymore, so he pretty much won't... He also doesn't believe he is as far down this path as he is... I suppose that sounds familiar to some of you too...

Dad, since retirement, would get up around 10:00am. Now, after two plus years of waking him at 6am and being sent back to sleep, he doesn't get up until she gets him up around noon.

Anyway, my understanding was that Namenda is best used when a patient is awake, and ideally given at breakfast time, then 8 hours later around dinner hour. Aricept at night is just fine.

One of Dad's friends said they would try to convince her to change, provided I got something in writing he could continually show her.

I also wondered if anyone knows if taking a patient off of Namenda, has the same frightening consequences that it seems taking a patient off of aricept has... (She has been wanting to take him off Namenda as she firmly believes the medicine is why he has been sleeping in and is so tired - not that she is interrupting his sleep cycle.)

There are a million other problems with his current environment - and
this has already been a very long road...

My siblings and I are currently waiting on a report from the State's adult protective services. We didn't initiate the contact - although we certainly had been discussing it. But, the Home health care providers his doctor ordered, who were trying to help Dad, had great difficultly seeing him due to his lady friend's controlling ways.

This is such a nightmare...

SOOOO - on this delightful, happy notes, I thank you for allowing me to introduce my pathetic situation, and hope someone can give clarity regarding the best times to administer Namenda and aricept.

Thanks

c

Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:10 pm

I can sympathize with the situation. An alcoholic woman was after my dad to marry him, and she was robbing him blind. Very sad to see. I told him he had no choice but had to move to another state (and got my husband to help make the point) where I could take care of him. I said we'd pay for his lady friend to fly out and stay with him for extended periods. Of course she never did.

You might post this in the Treatment Options area rather than the Introductions area. Why would anything any of us say influence what this "lady friend" (two words that don't seem to apply here) does when she won't even follow the MD's orders?

Have you done a search* of others' posts on this question? I have seen opinions and experience on this question raised in the past.

* Search by going here:
http://community.lbda.org/forum/search.php

Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:24 pm

A pharmacist might also be a very good resource to answer some of your questions. Dee

Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]