View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 New at this, 

someone told me that sweet is the last taste buds that work well- my Mother eats sweets better than anything
also meat and anything else that takes a lot of energy to chew and swallow does not do well with her- you have to watch and see what appears to be easy for her.-mine wn't touch ensure but we used to get it down my Grandmother by putting Kalua in it.
Hospice has been a real Godsend for us- great help, great people
Good Luck
Sharon

Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:55 pm

Post new at this
Tammy,
you mentioned that you are going to get Medicare to get someone to come sit with your mother. Will they pay for that? I called them to see if they did and was told that they didn't. My husband is on Medicare and has a BCBS supplemental policy, which said they won't pay either.
I do know 2 CNAs that work at the assisted living center where my grandmother is and they will come sit with him but I have to pay them and coming up with the money is hard.
Vicki

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:06 am

Post Medicare
Vicki, you are right about the "sitter services", however, If the doctor sends someone from Home Health to evaluate your husband and finds he needs help with keeping himself clean [shower/bath], changing his bedding, etc. they will send someone several times a week as well as a nurse to check on him, saving you doctor visits. This service is under the doctor's supervision. You may want to look into that. I used that service and found that I could get many of my regular chores done [or just walk in the yard] while they tended to Mr B.

Your husband may not qualify yet, but you need to keep this in mind as his symptoms progress.

DrP

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Post new at this
i have had home health ordered for my husband in the past by the doctor but they always sent someone to do physical therapy and the therapist said he did not qualify for that anymore they stopped the home health nurse and cna that came 3 times a week to help with his bath and other things. they said he had to be eligible for the physical therapy in order to qualify for the home health. is that not right? do i need to check with another home health agency? thanks for your advice! i need all the help i can get from any source!!!
vicki

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:51 pm

Post my journey with Home Health
I always went through our doctor. He ordered the services, they reported to him. You are right about the physical therapy running out. That service is intended to teach you how to continue after he gets started but then they can "rest" a while and do another round. I never found that to be the primary reason for Home Health. PT was just added as needed. The reason was for cleanliness and his overall health progress to report back to the doctor. Yes, they came for re-evaluations periodically for all services but the nurses and the aides were constant. I could not have cared for Mr B. all that time without their help. I will always be so thankful for Medicare and my supp. ins. Even though the extra insurance was quite expensive, if medicare said the visits were medically necessary, they both paid.

DrP

Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:20 pm

Yes, you are right that this needs to be coordinated through an MD. For Medicare, there must be a skilled need -- such as an RN changing a Foley catheter, or an RN checking on bedsores, or a PT, OT, or ST. PT, OT, and ST have 6-week (or is it 8-week?) limits but they can be prescribed again by the MD. The need for an RN to check goes on for as long as the MD says it's needed. Once a home health agency has been authorized (prescribed by the MD), they can add on unskilled services, such as what a CNA does. But once the skilled need is gone, the unskilled services must stop (as Medicare won't pay for them).

On the other hand, hospice certification is good for longer periods. It, too, must be re-certified by an MD.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:33 pm

I learned about Medicare from their website. Medicare.gov. It told me all it could cover depending on the MD orders. Before I could ask about it she asked me if I wanted to have a PT and OT come out to the house. A RN came out yesterday and evauated her and she is haveing a nurse come out 2 a week for about 3 weeks then 2 a month. Also a PT & a OT come out and work with her. It concludes that with out me she could not do anything for herself. She also has a Great doctor!
The nurse also said because my mom is suffering with LBD and Demt, and Park. That she feels she does not have that much longer. She had her first violent outbreak last night. She thought the house was on fire and tring to get out. Than yelling at me and I talked her into laying down and tring to rest. She was better after a bit. Still very delusional. I just had a baby to her and needed her help tpo take care of it. That was alot better than a fire.
In the middle of the night she told me off because I did not get to her in time and she had to be my her self when she woke up.
I will call hospice when I feel she needs it to come to our house. But until then I am jsut going to get all the help I can to make her as comftorble and happy as I can.
And yes my husband went out and bought alot of yummy sweets for her to eat as much as she likes! :)
Thanks for the advice. I really dpon't know what I would of done with out all the great help here! TY!!!!
Tammy

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Which Strengthens Me! Phil. 4:13

Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:32 pm

I think hospice would make a great choice at this time.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:36 pm

Medicare has 60 day time. If the doctor feels they still need the help they will refill the prescription for it to medicare.
I had a great response from them. The doctor ordered it thurs, Friday they called and Saturday I had a RN come out and eval. her.
I am so thankful for Medicare. !!!!!
We just got her transport chair from them too and we really needed that!
Talk to your doctor and don't give up on it. You are the only one that see's your LO everyday and REALLY knows how they are.

Tammy[/u]

Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:38 pm

I will call Hospice, I just am in Prayer that she has longer. I just got my mom back. I grew up and was never close. Nerver hugs or any affection, love was not in our house. I never knew her. I am getting to know her now, and when ever she is clear, even for the short amount of time, she is mom, tell me she loves me and we talk and laugh. I want to take her to the beach which is only 45 mins away. Her favorite place, let her feel her toes in the sand. See her smile when she feels and see's the waves. Take her down St. George street thru the shops. The Lord had made it possible for her to come home with us. I believe it is for us to have that time. She is a Blessing to me. It hurts to think I will not have that much time. That she would go that quickly. If and when it is needed I will make that call, but as long as I can care for her, I will. I do so appreciate the advice, I hope I can keep getting wisdom from all of ya'll. I know ya'll have been thru this much longer than I. Ya'll are all in my Prayers.
Tammy

Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:51 pm

I have had help from Hospice since Sept. -having them help does not mean she is going tomorrow. The nurse told me they like it when they have time to build a relationship with the patient and family. For example' My Mother went quickly from my being able to help her shower to needing 2 of us very quickly. It was good she had already met the aide and likes her. Its been nice for me because my Mother can no longer walk but thinks she can so someone has to watch her all the time. We have a volunteer who comes and visits her 2 hours a week. I'm still here where they can call me but am able to clean some rooms or even take a quick walk. You might talk with them and see what services might help now- let your Mom get to meet them so she is comfortable with the people before there is a crises
Sharon

Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:13 am

I guess I always thought of Hospice as a the last thing. Like you said dying tomorrow thing.
Robin I am sorry I didn't understand what you were tring to tell me.
I will call them and see about making an apoinment with them. I had to call her doctors this moring because my mom had a very bad weekend! Violent and bad halucinations. Refuse to eat anything after breakfast yesterday and she was up almost every hour last night. 7 times to go to the bathroom. Forgot how to take her meds yesterday. Very confused worse than normal.
TY, I will make that call. Sorry for bad spelling just a little tired. :)
Tammy

Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:34 am

Her Doctor will have to make the actual referral to hospice- but talking with them will give you a better idea of what they offer.- our hospice does the meds, provides pullups, wipes and other stuff.-
I have to grind up Mothers pills and mix them with applesauce.
One caution- make sure the hospice nurse has info on LBD- esp the Boeve continum-
the suggestion from ours when Mother became very agitated was haldol- I vetoed it and gave them a copy. -we've done well since then

Sharon

Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:52 am

The weight loss would qualify her for hospice. You will need an MD referral. I suggest getting the neurologist for the referral unless you like the PCP a lot more and have a great relationship with the PCP.

If putting her on hospice freaks you/her out, the objective could be to have your mother graduate from hospice (ie, get off of it) once the weight loss stops. It is unusual but it does happen in our local support group (that someone is on hospice for several months, and then gets off because they are doing so well).

Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:30 am

I have finally clued-in that you live in FL. There are several LBD or dementia support groups in FL. You should check out the list on lbda.org.
Robin

Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next