View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 New here 

Post New here
My 63yo father has a possible diagnosis of LBD. The possibility was raised by his neurologist in September. He was dx with Parkinson's last Feb/March by his PCP, the LBD came up at his second visit with the neurologist. We've observed personality changes over the last 3 years, I'd say. The tremors began last Thanksgiving time. He was forced to retire earlier than anticipated due to an injury about 5 years ago, so we attributed the personality changes--withdrawal, lack of affect, less engaged in conversation and social situations--with depression. This past year, he has become more forgetful and, I guess, more spiteful and more argumentative with my mother. He also has said some unexpectedly, somewhat mean things to my 15 year old niece recently.

Anyway, we're still in the stage of figuring out if there is dementia involved here. He went on Exelon for a time and had a great response to it. He was much more engaged with everyone, was no longer off to the side in family gatherings, much more himself. My mother described it as, "My husband came out of a cloud. He was back." So it feels like we're on to something. He developed a rash all over his torso after a time on the higher dose of Exelon, so was taken off of it. It seems to me like his symptoms returned.

Right now my biggest challenge is that my father will not talk about it at all with anyone other than my mother, he insists to her that there is no problem, and my mother--who has her own mental health problems--is now convincing herself that she is not really seeing the problems that she's seeing. That he was simply depressed and now this possible diagnosis is just the kick in the pants he needed and the relief she saw when he started Exelon was really just his getting his act together and working himself out of the depression.

Neither of my parents seems to be being realistic about things and I'm not sure how much I can do to move them forward. Or if I should.

As an aside, my father-in-law is 64 years old and is approaching the end of his time with frontotemporal dementia.

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:07 pm

Post Just wondering
M-73, I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your father as well as your father-in-law. I am wondering about the injury causing you father to retire earlier. Did he have anesthetic while they repaired the injury? I hope this is not too personal, if so forget it.

DrP

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:20 pm

Post not too personal
He actually was under anesthesia when the injury occurred. He was anesthetized for gall bladder surgery when the table collapsed beneath his head--it either failed or was not properly secured--and he suffered a neck injury. He also had a knee replacement surgery a year ago. My sister and I are trying to remember, but we know he had an epidural and we think he was just in a twilight sedation. If that makes sense.

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:28 pm

Post The table ???
Hard to believe, isn't it? Michelle, I have been reading posts on this forum for two years. I notice so many of the introductions begin with, "He/she seemed alright until..." then they go on to tell about a surgery the loved one had experienced. With my husband, it was cataract surgery followed by several eye operations with an effort to save his sight. He was never the same after that. Coincidence? Perhaps. You will find numerous entries here discussing anethestics. [don't go there, yet. You have other things to deal with... getting the dx. and med routine.]

This from a person just noticing the similarities among our loved ones.

DrP

Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:42 pm

A local support group member (who used to be a member here as well) had similar parents -- father with LBD, mother with her own mental health issues, both in denial. The daughter was absolutely beside herself with worry, and tried all sorts of things, including insisting that she be allowed to go to MD appointments.

Sadly, the parents attempted suicide a couple of months ago. The father succeeded; the mother did not. One of the many things this pointed out to me is that there are limits to what we adult children can do for our parents.

I encourage you to keep a good balance, and take care of yourself.

Robin

Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:08 pm

Thanks for that information. It's tragic. But it's definitely helpful for me to hear.

Last edited by michelle73 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:50 pm

You don't need to quote someone's post in making your reply, if the person's post is in the same topic/string. If you simply say "Robin - XXX" everyone will know what you are replying to.
Thanks,
Robin

Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]