View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 New to forum 

Post New to forum
Hi...I'm new to the forum and very interested in any information to help my father...he is 89 yrs. old and just diagnosed with LBD...we are really struggling with the medication...he is taking Halidol for the hallucinations, but really having trouble with sleeping. He takes mirazapotine (sleeping pill) and now Trazadone. When he sleeps all night, the next day is much better, but when he loses that one night it is disastrous the next few days....any ideas/helpful advice would be welcome...
Patty

Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:23 pm

First thing, get your father off the Haldol immediately. It's contraindicated in LBD.

Second thing, find a new MD who has a clue about the proper treatment of LBD.

Third thing, read everything you can on lbda.org.

My two cents,
Robin

Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:30 pm

Post Medications for those with LBD
Dear Patty:

Robin put things in the right order. You will learn that medications don't work the same for everyone with LBD, this disease definitely cannot be categorized as "one size fits all." You will also learn that some medications, Haldol is one, are to be avoided no matter what, others are to be used cautiously if nothing else works. This journey is a time of learning but you will become the best judge of what works and what doesn't. After you've done your homework, you'll learn to trust your gut feelings.

My husband died several months ago but I remember how overwhelmed I was in the beginning. I didn't understand the medical terminology, had no idea about the drugs and what was prescribed for what condition, but I kept coming back to this forum. The more I shared, the more I learned, and in the middle of interminable nights this forum was my lifeline and these wonderful people became my dear friends.

I'm so sorry you are on this journey but you are not alone, these forum members care and will share their experience, strength, and hope.

Joy

Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:41 pm

Patty, Hope things are going better for you and our LO. Hope you found the support you need from your doctor to get the right medications. Let us know how it's going. One thing I learned with this disease is it changes so much you have to stay with the proper medications long enought to know if it works or if it part of the flucuation.

Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]