View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Hello A new Girl 

Post Hello A new Girl
Hello, I would be happy to share my story with you. My mother is 64 years of age and we are currently in the process of seeking a diagnosis for a very sudden and rapid onset of acute confusion with hallucinations, occurring mainly in the evening time. She has been seen by a leading psychiatric Doctor and he has diagnosed LBD. However we are awaiting definite confirmation following a head scan and various other tests. The whole family is struggling to come to terms with this awful and unpredictable situation and would benefit from any support and advice we can get. The main question I am egar to ask is, can this condition be eased with medication. Carol

Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:41 pm
Profile YIM

Post Sad for you and yours
Carol, it sounds like you are ahead of things and on top of this awful problem. Your mother is the age of my children, that is why I let out a gasp when I read your message. To answer your question, can this be eased with medicine. I think more and more we are seeing proof that with the proper meds tailored to suit the individual, much relief can be found. It sounds like you have help already and others will chime in telling you about Dr Boeve etc. May I caution you with the standard rule, "Start low and go slow". Watch for signs of damage any meds may indicate and report to your doctor. Don''t be bashful. Present yourself as firm, caring, trusting but needing answers. Continue to learn everything you can and trust your own judgement. I'm sorry.

DrP

Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:20 pm

As DrP predicts, we will chime in now about reading Boeve! Please find Boeve's Continuum paper on lbda.org. This gives very clear guidance to you and your mother's MD as to how to treat LBD. One can see great improvement with medication, and LBDers can have good quality of life for a long time, if the delicate balance of medications has been figured out.

Usually we don't see rapid onsets of LBD. When the word "rapid" is used, I think first of CJD (Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease). Perhaps, looking back, however, you and your family can detect signs of LBD much further ago.

Robin

Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:29 pm

You just got advice from some of the best so just want to add a little welcome. Feel free to jump in and join the conversations. You will learn a lot, laugh and feel better.

Good luck with your journey in the Lewy World, its a difficult one thats for sure.

Dianne

Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:00 pm

Thank-you all so very much for all your very expert advice!! I was relieved to read that although at the start of this very difficult pathway, there is some hope for my much loved mum. We are a long way from most of you folks (Great Britain) however its a great comfort to know there are like minded people out there experiencing similar feelings, emotions ect. Thanks again for all being there and ready to talk to me . God Bless Carol .

Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:37 am
Profile YIM

There are quite a few members here from the UK. Have you made contact with the Lewy Body Society, which is based in the UK? (See lewybody.org)
Robin

Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Welcome to the LBDA forums and I do hope you get some answers soon as some of the others mentioned , Rapid is not a word I would use in a decline with LBD either.
Good Luck with finding the answers!

Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]