View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hello 

Post Hello
I live in Texas and my parents live in California. Alzheimers runs in our family on my mothers side. My mom, 69 years old, started showing small signs of forgetfulness last summer. Nothing of great concern. As of the middle of January my parents were golfing twice a week and everything was wonderful. Then on January 23rd everything changed. She called me and was very angry that I had "put her granddaughter up to calling her to test her memory about scrambled eggs and catsup." At that point she stopped sleeping and the crazy calls became regular. She ended up in the hospital on January 27th. Her salt levels were so low that they admited her. She was released a few days later after blood work, EEG. Hard for me to remember everything as I was not there. She ended back at the hospital two days later. They then did a MRI and a spinal test. She was released, told she most likely has Alzheimers and was given Aricept and Risperdal. Then went to a neurologist who felt she has LBD. I went out for 8 days and she seemed to be doing better. Still not sleeping very well and some very confused conversations. But within the last week has taken another dive. The doctor has increased her meds but she is not sleeping. She will start sobbing for long periods of time. Talking about very crazy things like being raped and asking my father if he has ever killed an animal. My father is so very tired and has heath issues of his own. He will be calling the doctor again tomorrow and I am not scheduled to go out again until the 10th. I live with my 10 year old daughter and 72 year old father in law who has his own level of confusion. My husband works out of town leaving on Mondays and returning on Fridays which makes it difficult for me to be gone for long periods of time. My mothers condition is nothing like what my grandmother, my aunt or uncle went thru with Alzheimers. I have contacted UCLA medical center and have set up an appointment on the 11th. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive from my parents house. Just not sure how my dad is going to make it till the 10th.

Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:13 am

Welcome to the LBDA forums, sorry for your need to be here but what you are describing is the sandwich generation, I am glad you are getting your Mom in with a UCLA, do you know who she is seeing and I am sure there will be many tests to go through. We are here for you in your need of this very confusing illness, So please join us with your comments and questions! Please check out the LBDA website, the link is below my name!

Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:36 am
Profile WWW

Hi, Dallasfamily, This sounds like an awful situation. I expect you have been wracking your brain thinking of resources your Dad could turn to for help with your Mom until you get there and get her to the doctors'... neighbors, a family friend, church friends etc. or a visiting nurses association ... No time to be shy about getting help -- you have really got your hands full. hoping for the best for you and them,
Franks2ndaughter

Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:25 pm

Please read Boeve's Continuum paper on lbda.org to understand the proper treatment of someone with LBD. And give it to the UCLA MD as well. Which MD are you seeing there?

Where in SoCal do your parents live? We have several here from SoCal and could perhaps make recommendations as to MDs.

Is your mom completely over the hyponatremia? Seems like this takes quite a long hospital stay to recover from.

Robin

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]